WTB: Old wavy window glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I would like to put old wavy glass in the doors of my latest project. Need 2 pieces 14 1/2" x 25" approx. Anyone have a source?

David Turner
North raleigh

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is a place just down the road that is always selling old windows - call them antiques or junk - your call. Probably too far for you to go to examine them, but it's the kind of thing you find at yard sales and flea markets around here. You might check out the flea market at the fairgrounds in Raleigh and see if they have anything similar. Might find what you're looking for at a bargain price. It will be pretty hit or miss though. Also check CL under materials.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
David,

You can get "restoration" glass from Bendheim (bendheim.com). They offer two types, light restoration and full restoration. I have used their glass (full restoration) in three different projects and am very satisfied with what they provided. It isn't cheap but very worth it for an appropriate project.

Rob Liles

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
David,
I was in Micheals and saw glass there.
Nothing was as big as you are looking for, but I wonder if you can special order?
(Maybe worth a call?)

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't know from personal experience but you might try stores that sell to stained glass craftsmen. My B-I-L does a lot of stained glass and I have seen some of his pieces that appear to look like old wavy glass.

George

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I would pass on the old glass. Glass becomes brittle over the years, and impossible to cut to size. Most any glass supplier could get what you want, and cut to size.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Thanks guys; you have given me some options that I hadn't thought of or knew about.

Junquecol: I build period furniture and it really looks better if it has the period correct glass.

chris_goris: I tried a salvage co. over in Durham. It is hard to determine if the glass in old sash is wavy as it is always very dirty. I purchased 2 sash thinking they were old because they had ropes for counterweights. One was old and yes junquecol, it shattered when I tried to cut it. The other sash was new glass and probably had been replaced sometime in its' history.

David Turner

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Wilson Glass in Wilson, NC used to carry reproduction glass. Not sure about their prices but I know it cost more than regular glass.

I have some sheets larger than what you are looking for but I am planning to use them. I'll look later today to see if I have more. If I do, it's free. They came from a 110 year old house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS