WTB a small quantity of Sodium Nitrite.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
Looking for local source close to greensboro / burlington. Prefer to buy off-the-shelf rather than ordering and waiting. I thought I could tell difference between red and white oak. I need to be 100% sure.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Could you educamate me? How do you use sodium nitrite to identify red and white oak?

I've always just taken a piece about 8 or 12 inches long, stuck one end in some water and blew on the other end looking for bubbles. Old heads who smoke would blow smoke through a piece to identify it as red oak.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Use sodium nitrite
If it's red oak, there will only be a small color change, making the wood only slightly darker. But if it's white oak, there will be a noticeable color change in as little as five minutes, (though it can take longer if the wood is dry, or if the temperature is low).

ck1999

Chris
User
You can call harcros chemical and see if they could sell you some. It most likely would be a 50 lb bad.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
Finished up a pkg of hot dogs. Was dumping out the fluid, and looked
[too late] at ingredient list.
Sodium Nitrite was listed as the preservative.
The morton tenderizer lists [sn] as 0.5%...would this be sufficient enuff to test an oak sample? I've seen mentions of using 5% - 10% solutions.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's usually about 10% sodium nitrite in water (4 teaspoons in 1 cup of water).

"Next, you need to mix up a roughly 10% solution of sodium nitrite by weight. This ratio actually isn’t as critical as it seems: solutions as small as 1% and as high as 20% have all been used with success, but to err on the side of caution, we’ll use the most appropriate quantity recommended."

RECIPE FOR 10% SODIUM NITRITE SOLUTION FOR TESTING OAKS:
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 teaspoons sodium nitrite

JohnW

New User
John
Make an iron oxide solution by putting a piece of steel wool (OOOO is good size to use) in a jar of white vinegar. You could get by with a small piece of OOOO steel wool in a cup of vinegar. Vinegar dissolves the steel wool completely in 6-7 days but 1 or two days is all that's needed for identification purposes. Iron oxide will turn white oak black. Red oak will hardly change color at all.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Make an iron oxide solution by putting a piece of steel wool (OOOO is good size to use) in a jar of white vinegar. You could get by with a small piece of OOOO steel wool in a cup of vinegar. Vinegar dissolves the steel wool completely in 6-7 days but 1 or two days is all that's needed for identification purposes. Iron oxide will turn white oak black. Red oak will hardly change color at all.

That's the classic recipe for preparing iron acetate. When applied to white oak, which is high in tannins, the iron solution causes the tannic acid to turn black. Red oak doesn't have as much tannin so the color reaction is much less.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS