Wow! Griz 10" Jointer/Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone2dMtns

New User
Mike C.
I just received the new '09 Griz catalog and noticed a 10" jointer/planer combo for only $1,195. This sounds too good to be true.

FWW just did a review on the 12" model;
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=32101

For a little more than the price of an 8" jointer you can get the 10" combo. You can't get spiral cutting heads on the 10" model though.

So what am I missing here? Anybody know anything about this unit? If it's decent, then I'm, all over it. Feedback please!!!!

Mike C.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

For me, the three biggest shortcomings are the 10" width for planing stock, the short 40-15/16" table and the lack of a carbide cutterhead. I've seen the 12" and 16" versions (the G0660X 16" model is not in the catalog, go figure because it is new and it is listed in the Outlet section of their website). I've got a G0490X 8" jointer with spiral carbide cutterhead and the table is nearly twice as long. And my DeWalt DW733 planer is still chugging along after at least 10 years.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The big thing is the bed length. It will be tough to straighten long boards. A 10" planer isn't a lot, but if it gets you buy, hey, why not.

Gone2dMtns

New User
Mike C.
All good points! I think my initial excitement is waning after looking at the specs a little harder. The combo unit has less HP, less RPM, less CPM, less, less, less than the 8" jointer.

I also have the Dewalt 13" planer so actually the benefit of a combo would be negligible to me... but may be an advantage to someone without a planer. Oh well... it was fun to think about.

Thanks!

Mike

Outa Square

New User
Al
Jet has a 8" and 10" jointer planner combo and the list price was lower than i expected. I saw it when i Tom Hintz posted a 8" for sale earlier this week. The 10" can be had for $400-$500. They are both just 2 blades, and i believe the jointer bed is only 36" long.

If i didn't already have a 6" bench top jointer and a 12 lunch box planer i would consider this. Some folks insist that jointers limit your ability to maximize your planning capacity and this would create a situation where they were the same, but i either remove my guard on my jointer and rotate the board; or i use my planer and a sled to flatten the board.

Bottom line i think that the combo machines are good thing for folks with space limitations like myself and hey 1 set of blades to maintain and 1 motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS