worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
​I've got one. I don't use it as I should, but it's dead on. Yeah, it's worth 30 bucks. IMHO.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
It is a worthwile product but keep it in the house in the winter. cold kills the batteries.:rolleyes: Oh and don't drop it too often.:gar-Bi

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I got the Peachtree version on sale last year or so and love it. +1 on what Fred said about the batteries, I learned that the hard way this spring!!!! :BangHead:

Oh yeah, don't forget about their $10 off $25 code, 12025, or if you're close enough the 10% or 10 bucks off for your B'day. :D

Brian

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have 2 and they work great. I also have 3 sets of digital calipers. They all use the CR2032 batteries. My shop is heated, but I change batteries maybe once a year. Lowes etc., want $2-3 per battery. About a year or so ago I got 4 packs of 5 off Amazon for less than $8 delivered. Maxell if I remember correctly. I've only used one of them.

Update. I just checked Amazon and they have the Maxell in packs of 5 for 0.19 , yup, nineteen cents plus $1.65 shipping.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It is a worthwile product but keep it in the house in the winter. cold kills the batteries.:rolleyes: Oh and don't drop it too often.:gar-Bi

It's those dang blasted Ritis brothers again Arthr, Rheuma and their sister Osteoarth . Oh let me tell you I don't like that family much at all, they all are bad news...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got the Peachtree version on sale last year or so and love it. +1 on what Fred said about the batteries, I learned that the hard way this spring!!!! :BangHead:

Oh yeah, don't forget about their $10 off $25 code, 12025, or if you're close enough the 10% or 10 bucks off for your B'day. :D

Brian

The WC disclaimer says " * off regular priced merchandise" so I am not sure you will get it for $19.99 but it is worth a try.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I use mine quite a bit. I use it primarily to set the blade angle on the TS.

Works like a champ.

Wayne

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Definitely worth it! Having precise and accurate measuring tools are invaluable until you get to the point of being able to construct an entire piece without making a single measurement. :) I don't feel like I started learning woodworking until I had the confidence that the inaccuracies were all my fault! (Early on, I did have a lot of measurement and equipment set up issues because I was too cheap to buy good measuring tools.)

There are several brands of these. I'm pretty sure they all have the same guts. Or get the the second generation Wixey which upgraded a few minor items from the first generation you linked: Flip up display, better power consumption, hold feature, and visual level indicators. I have the first generation and just leave the battery out of it until I'm ready to use it because it will drain in a hurry. (Someday I may wire in a switch but it may break before I get to that.)

Get a micrometer, a dial depth micrometer, a Wixey, two triangles (30-60 and 45), and a good stainless steel rule (with at least 32nd increments) and never again wonder how close you are.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
love it! and the planer gauge they sell is awesome as well! As someone else said, I have to leave the batteries out of mine b/c they seem to drain fast.

terry1166

New User
Terry
I use mine any time I set angles on the table saw, to check for 45 and 90 degree vertical cut-off on my chop saw and to check the angle of my jointer fence. As others have mentioned, do keep the batteries or the gauge in a warm spot as the cold will definitely quickly doom the batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors