Worksharp bevel not square - Only idiots read manuals

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Today at the Greensboro lunch I brought up how my Worksharp does not create a square bevel when using the built in "sharpening port" underneath the spinning disc. We talked about it some and a comment that "somebody has probably figured out a solution for that" was mentioned. I figured I might as well do a google search and see, I had pretty much given up on the Worksharp giving me the results that I wanted because of this issue. My plan was to use the Worksharp followed by stones and a honing guide. The difference in the squareness of the bevel between the honing guide and the worksharp makes it so I still have to remove a lot of steel with the stones which is the very thing I was trying to avoid.

Well, it seems this is a very common problem. Additionally Worksharp has a built in solution that is outlined in the manual. It is the very first item under "Troubleshooting".

It's a good thing I was able to find this on Google otherwise I never would have known about this adjustment, because you know, I don't need to read no stinkin' manuals! :):cool::D

Now that I think about it, I think I may have messed with that skew lever at some point when I was trying to figure out how to change the primary bevel angle of the port.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Good Stuff Jeremy. I use my WS quite a bit and this will be a good reminder when things get a little off.

JohnW

New User
John
"We no need no stinkin manual". Ummm, I represent this remarko_O.

Thanks Jeremy, I've been using tape to adjust my skew angle. Live and learn.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Ok I usually do read over the manual on new machines at least a cursory scan. But I always skip over the first couple pages because they just contain safety warnings that are usually no-brainer type things. Like don't try to stop a spinning saw blade with your bare hands or don't grab a hot electrical wire while standing bare foot in a mud puddle. I may regret that some day but so far, so good.

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
It's funny, over the years, how often the answer has been in the manual that I didn't bother to read. Thanks Jeremy!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I used to follow a lot of technical bulletin boards the answer to the often asked (by newbies) question that was in the manual was to RTFM, which stood for Read The Fine Manual or something similar.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS