Working with melamine - need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I am building a simple stand for a flat panel TV for some clients and I need a little advice. This unit is being designed to fit into an existing shelf unit that was built to surround a large projection TV. I am using black melamine, primarily because they want this quick and black. The unit will be 59" wide and 21" tall. It will also have smoked glass, full overlay doors. The gray piece is what I'm building and will roll in flush with the existing unit.
TV_Base.jpg

My first question is will a lock miter joint be sufficient on the end panels? I want to minimize edge banding if possible except for the face. I'd have to get one of these bits.
web3596.jpg

I plan to use at least 4 and probably 6 (4 on the front) of these casters.
21gF2zR8P8L._AA160_.jpg

The TV will stand on the front edge and weighs approx 150lbs. I think with the cabinet being 30" deep it should be balanced ok.

Thoughts and advise is appreciated.

M

McRabbet

You need to be sure the flat screen TV is mounted so it is stable when pushed in and out -- I think the Lock Miters will work on your outer carcase joints, but I would add a long glue block inside the top corners for extra strength. The vertical partitions should fit in dadoes and the entire back should fit into a rabbet and dadoes to correspond to the vertical partitions for added rigidity. At five feet wide, I'd use 8 casters, paired front and back -- I assume they will ride on a hardwood floor.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You might also want to think about losing the hex nuts & using t nuts bored in directly below the 2 middle partitions & as close as possible beside the side panels avoiding a side projecion on the rollers. You may need to saw off the studs a little for those.

nelsone

New User
Ed
You need to be sure the flat screen TV is mounted so it is stable when pushed in and out -- I think the Lock Miters will work on your outer carcase joints, but I would add a long glue block inside the top corners for extra strength. The vertical partitions should fit in dadoes and the entire back should fit into a rabbet and dadoes to correspond to the vertical partitions for added rigidity. At five feet wide, I'd use 8 casters, paired front and back -- I assume they will ride on a hardwood floor.

Thanks Rob, everything else will be dadoed. The majority of the TV weight will be on the center two panels. I want to avoid banding exposed edges on the ends. As for the casters, 8 is just as easy as 6 so I'll go with the added support!

You might also want to think about losing the hex nuts & using t nuts bored in directly below the 2 middle partitions & as close as possible beside the side panels avoiding a side projecion on the rollers. You may need to saw off the studs a little for those.

I like the idea of the t-nuts or threaded inserts into the center panels. I may be able to go with the same thing on the outer ends with a cut down bolt. The weight is supported on the tops of the casters and the bolts just keep them in place. Thanks for the idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors