working with cedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sberube

New User
seb
This is a first for me. As I posted while I was looking for cedar, my wife asked me to make a table for the kids to play. An outdoors play table. So first step was to get cedar, and now that's done (thanks again Rick).

Now a question comes to mind. I want to start building my table top, but am wondering if I can join lumber to make a table top for an outdoors table or if I should use underneath support and leave a gap (for material expansion) between the different pieces that'll make my table top.

I do intend to use some finish on top of it. Something that'll seal it, but don't know what yet.

Does anybody have any experience building outdoors furniture out of cedar?

Thanks.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A lot will depend on the style of table you're looking to make. Boards glued together will expand and contract like a solid board. It will have greater movement potential than the individual boards, but the sum will be equal to the parts. I think it is better to leave the boards unglued, not so much for the movement issue, but more for water drainage. A solid slab will have a greater potential to hold rain water on top than will individual boards.
MTCW,
Dave:)

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Now a question comes to mind. I want to start building my table top, but am wondering if I can join lumber to make a table top for an outdoors table or if I should use underneath support and leave a gap (for material expansion) between the different pieces that'll make my table top.

I do intend to use some finish on top of it. Something that'll seal it, but don't know what yet.

Does anybody have any experience building outdoors furniture out of cedar?

Thanks.

I guess it all depends what kind of play table it is going to be. Are the kids going to be doing things on it that could fall through the cracks, if so you will probable have to make a soild top. Even with a solid top I would still use some kind of underneath support. Just make sure the top has room to move because it will as the seasons change.

Bob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Seb

As far as gluing up cedar boards, I built about 1/2 dozen planters for friends and family. The end panels of the planters were glued up cedar to get the width required.

Pic...........

Herb_Planter.jpg

I haven't seen any issues with wood movement, but they are smaller than a table top.

My biggest concern would be water drainage on a table top. A slotted top with battens underneath would allow water to drain off of the top.

Wayne

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to the above suggestions for a slotted top.

Why put a finish on it? Cedar is naturally mildew, moisture, rot resistant because of the oils in the wood. Not harmful to children like pressure treated outdoor lumber. If you finish it you'll end up having to redo it about every 1-2 years so why not make it zero maintenance and let Mother Nature do the finishing/aging? :icon_scra

sberube

New User
seb
I'll go with the consensus and make the top slotted. It does make a whole lot more sense for drainage. and they can always put something on top if they want to draw on paper...

As for the finish, I'd like it to not turn silver the way I see most cedar pieces turn when they aren't finished. I wanted to do something natural, like wax perhaps.

Thanks for all the replies!

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
If you need a finish, go with oil. Afew heavy coats would finish it good. But if you must finish, I used Australian Timber Oil from BORG on some of my outdoor stuff for the LOML. She wanted a darker looks so that's what I did for her. It was one coat and dries completely in 24hrs. You should be happy with it if finish is what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS