Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Baxter

My son has 2 pieces of 14"X24" round logs for furniture project.
Need to locate a place/company that can kiln dry wood for this project or suggest other means of drying wood.
Sincerely,
Ed Baxter Greenville,SC.
edgarbaxter@bellsouth.net

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I don't think you will like the price for vacuum drying items like that..

Mama Nature is your best bet..or boiling the pieces in a Pig scalding vat

Dragon

New User
David
Check out some of my gallery pics and posts for some tips on drying those logs. I'm no expert by any means but there are certain methods that simply work better then others and you may not want to expend the cash for the kiln drying. :eusa_thin

Put 'em in a box large enough for the materials and cover them with sawdust and wood shavings. Let them sit covered up for at least 4 to 5 months.:eusa_pray Depending on the conditions,(humidity, relative moisture content of the wood, and wood species), they should be dry enough to begin working. Note: log tables require considerable amounts of controlled drying time before they will be "stable" enough to bring into a home environment and not crack and check for a few more months. That's why I tell anyone asking me to make them one, that the time frame will be in the neighborhood of one and a half to two years before they will see a finished table that I'm willing to put my name on. Currently I have two daughters and a my Mother wanting tables. Counting what I'm keeping for myself, that exhausts my entire wood cutting efforts over the last fall and winter.:BangHead:

Not trying to rain on your parade but this is definitely not a project that will be done in a couple of weekends. I'm happy to offer advice and experiences if you want.:XXcompute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors