Workbench vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I think it depends on where you are going to use it. I don't think quick release would be that useful on a face vice but it could be cool for a tail vise.

I guess it also depends on how you are going to use it. I use a leg vise for working verticals and edges. It is the polar opposite of a quick release vise :)

DSC_4171.sized.jpg

I use a tail vise for working faces. And I use them both for odd shape clamping. I can honestly say I have never really wished they were quick release. But I put lots of effort into the bench itself. My dog holes are ~1.5" from the front of the bench and are spaced a little over 3" away from each other. I have a dog in each hole. I never have very far to go:

DSC_4173.sized.jpg

Salem

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Rob, get invited to some shops and check both types for yourself. Personally, I like quick release everything. In fact, all of my router circle/ellipse jigs use the Wrenn patented docking system. I'm not really close, but you're welcome to check it out.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Rob, you can come up to the shop anytime, or wait until the dovetail workshop next month. I have each type of vise and you can try them out for yourself. Personally, I like the quick-release a lot better. I'll show you why when you're here.

Bill

MikeH

New User
Mike
I think it depends on where you are going to use it. I don't think quick release would be that useful on a face vice but it could be cool for a tail vise.

I guess it also depends on how you are going to use it. I use a leg vise for working verticals and edges. It is the polar opposite of a quick release vise :)

DSC_4171.sized.jpg

I use a tail vise for working faces. And I use them both for odd shape clamping. I can honestly say I have never really wished they were quick release. But I put lots of effort into the bench itself. My dog holes are ~1.5" from the front of the bench and are spaced a little over 3" away from each other. I have a dog in each hole. I never have very far to go:

DSC_4173.sized.jpg

Salem

Salem,
Where did you get the hardware for your vices? They are awesome.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Yes Mike it is awesome :). This is from http://benchcrafted.com. It isn't cheap. But if you price out the allthread, nuts, handles, guide bars etc individually there really isn't much markup.

A little over a year ago I stuck a chisel in my hand while doing something I shouldn't be doing: holding the workpiece with my hand and doing just a light trim. The deductible and copay for my insurance cost me more than the vises. It was my motivation to improve my work holding/workbench.

I found a deal on the hardware from a guy that bought the package and didn't get around to installing it. But if you like this sort of setup you can do it much cheaper and still do it well. A traditional tail vise can be made in the shop and only requires a screw and nut. A leg vise is similar. The hardware that benchcrafted sells is way overkill. But it operates very smoothly and it is a pleasure to use. My workbench is my favorite tool :)

Good luck!
Salem

MikeH

New User
Mike
Yes Mike it is awesome :). This is from benchcrafted.com. It isn't cheap. But if you price out the allthread, nuts, handles, guide bars etc individually there really isn't much markup.

A little over a year ago I stuck a chisel in my hand while doing something I shouldn't be doing: holding the workpiece with my hand and doing just a light trim. The deductible and copay for my insurance cost me more than the vises. It was my motivation to improve my work holding/workbench.

I found a deal on the hardware from a guy that bought the package and didn't get around to installing it. But if you like this sort of setup you can do it much cheaper and still do it well. A traditional tail vise can be made in the shop and only requires a screw and nut. A leg vise is similar. The hardware that benchcrafted sells is way overkill. But it operates very smoothly and it is a pleasure to use. My workbench is my favorite tool :)

Good luck!
Salem

I stuck a chisel in my finger several years ago when I was building my workbench base. Luckily I didn't do any damage other than a cut and it healed in 2 days because I had just sharpened it. I was lucky, but it could have been worse. I'll check into the hardware on benchcrafted.com. Thanks for the info.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

<hijack>
How do you like your split benchtop? I'm in the design phase for my workbench and have incorporated a split-top design into it. It looks like you can easily slip a F-style clamp into yours for clamping in the middle of the bench. Do you use that often? Would you use it again?
</hijack>

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Quick release is definitely a plus in my book. Use the feature all the time on my face vise. Wish I had it on the tail vise at times.

Go

eyekode

New User
Salem
Most of my stock is the same thickness. And even when it is 8/4 for legs or something that is only a couple revolutions. How are you using your face vise that requires big adjustments? It seems like many people like this feature on a face vise but I just don't see how I would use it.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have only been using this bench for about a year. But I have never used the channel for clamping. I built a an insert that is flush if flipped one way and proud if flipped upside down:

DSC_7871 by eyekode, on Flickr

I use this all the time... for holding tools as you can see above. I have yet to flip it over. I much prefer planing on the edge of the bench and don't often need to plane out in the middle of the bench.

Now the real benefit of a split bench? You only have to handle 1/2 the weight at a time. And each piece is narrow enough to run through the planer.

There is no way I could have managed a 3 1/8"x24"x81" slab of oak by myself. It took all my strength to manage 3 1/8"x11"x81".
Good luck!
Salem

shopsmithtom

New User
SST
I acquired a pair of vises from a retiring woodworker & one is an old quick release. I've discovered that once I began using it, I try to always use it even though I have several other non-quickies in my shop. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS