Workbench Slabs - taking census on who many are interested in

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannysBoy

New User
Connor
For lack of desire to go into detail, I work in [wooden] slab production m-f.

PM if you have interest in a BENCH TOP slab only. Dog holes bored, vice cut outs and reliefs underneath if desired. NOT undercarriage built, no vises included.

Slab only.

Solid white hickory, or hard maple, or oak etc etc. Your choice.

Edge grain style, continuous planks, no splines or butt joints.

cstandi1

New User
chase
Sorry about that I guess I need to proofread better. I meant 2 slabs at 12" wide, 6' long, and 4" thick our of maple?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
What woiuld be a ballpark figure for a 2ft x 6 ft x 3" thick plain hard maple bench top slab with no holes or cutouts?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
What woiuld be a ballpark figure for a 2ft x 6 ft x 3" thick plain hard maple bench top slab with no holes or cutouts?

Ditto that question and also 8 foot by 2 foot x 3" thick. And how dry would it be. Based on the description, we're talking about a laminated top and not a solid slab. How wide are the individual pieces glued together to make the laminate?

DannysBoy

New User
Connor
Also Ken, the lumber is completely kiln dried. I mill the maple down when it's between 6 and 7% though I can gladly check for you in the morning.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Connor, FWIW It would be very helpful if you posted a price for what Ken asked about. Some of us are quietly lurking and waiting on an answer before we jump in.

The size he asked about is pretty much a sweet spot for many benchtop s.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Connor,
I sent you a pm. This looks like a great opportunity. Can you possibly post some production pics for us to look at?

DannysBoy

New User
Connor
So just heads up everyone, I'm just trying to get a general idea of what people are looking for. As I'm looking into it personally, I am leaning more towards slabs only, or slabs plus dog holes, NOT reliefes for vises and whatnot. Too much trouble.

Right now we've got a MASS over stock of hickory sapwood. So, paper white to golden, much harder, much heavier than maple. That's what my bench is made out of and I can't make a dent in it.

Long story short hickory is less than maple per sqft of top currently.

I'm trying to work out a system with the big boss where it is worth it to everyone. Him, me, you. He makes money, I cna make a couple bucks and you can get a workbench slab for far cheaper per sqft than we sell out products for.

ex - to buy a glued, planed, sanded rectangular slab of edge grain maple, 3" thick from the company outright, is $90 per sqft

I'm trying to bring that number down as much as possible. So everyone can win. I built a workbench out of scrap for my father late last year and he's gotten such good feedback from some of the guys on here who have stopped by his house, I figured why not see if anyone else on NCWW might be interested.

Bare with me, we will get it done fellas

cstandi1

New User
chase
I'd be more than happy with hickory if it is a good price. Since you have access to large stock would it be possible to also purchase some hickory stock for the base even if you can't process it?

DannysBoy

New User
Connor
20170328_141811.jpg this is edge grain calico hickory, only 7/4 thick, but its something out in the shop at the moment. the ones i'm proposig would be all white

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS