Workbench mobility

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
So I was dreaming of ways to design my bench with a built in way to move it around easily. I figure it's probably easier to build something in from the beginning than to try to retrofit it in afterwards.
This is the simplest thing that I could come up with.
Watchathink?

Bench up
up.jpg

Bench down
down.jpg

Monty

New User
Monty
I like the idea too. Will this be metal or wood?

Only thing I would suggest: don't let the mobile platform contact that front leg in the "table down" position. If you have any irregularities in your floor, you don't want ANYTHING to cause the wheels to prop one of the legs up in any way, or you'll be unhappy with the setup.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
What insomniac said. And this may be obvious, but be mindful of the size and location of the handle/cam/whatchamacallit. If it's underneath where you plan to stand a lot you will eventually take a saw to it.

Great idea.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
DaveO-
I drew it in powerpoint. It took some time to figure out exactly how to get it all to scale. Oh well...what else is there to do at work...

Insomniac & Jonz-
My intention was to make it all out of wood, obviously except for the bolt/pivots. I agree completely. I'm toying with the idea of using a short gas spring/strut to hold the wheels up and the lever tight against the front of the leg. I think that this'll kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone.
Gas Springs
$1.99 each is a good price, but they want $9 shipping for 6 of the little buggers!
(that site has some pretty cool stuff...LOADS of casters and awesome deals on drawer slides)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Surplus Center is where I bought my actuators for my assembly table and the vacuum pump for my vacuum press system. You have to watch the site a little bit, because things come and go, but is a very good resource.

Nice little 4 bar design. Just make sure you pivot system will be able to handle the load of the bench. Might want to use aluminum plates on the outside of the wood where the pivot holes are for extra strength. Don't use lag screws and rely on the threads to hold it. I would bore through holes and if needed put a cotter pin on each side or a retainer ring. If done right your design will work very well. The amount of support will depend on how big and heavy you make the bench, if you'll have a cabinet underneith with tools....

I look forward to seeing your progress with your bench/mobility system.

:icon_thum

John

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Chris, you may be able to get the lever to go more :eek:ver center" by changing some of the distances and angles on the pivot plates. That way the weight of the bench will hold the wheel plate in the down position. You will then need to apply positive upward force on the lever to lower the bench back down.

David

DavidF

New User
David
Where did that smiley come from? this site must be infected with them or something:evil: there they go again!

chris99z71

New User
Chris
True...or I could just make the plate the casters are attached to shorter on the left end...
Thanks for the input all!

woodguy1975

New User
John
DavidF said:
Hi Chris, you may be able to get the lever to go more :eek:ver center" by changing some of the distances and angles on the pivot plates. That way the weight of the bench will hold the wheel plate in the down position. You will then need to apply positive upward force on the lever to lower the bench back down.

David

Gotta love the old Kinematics. :)

DavidF

New User
David
I think if you just made the plate a little shorter the lever would touch the ground before going over center assuming the drawing is to scale. You have to increse the travel quite a bit to acheive the same result.

David

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Yep, the drawing is as close to scale as I could get it...not easy w/ Powerpoint.
I see your point. It would be a major PITA to have the thing keep flipping back as you're trying to roll the bench around...
With this one, I made the caster plate shorter (on the left end) and rotated the pivot plates an additional 10° to the same attachment points. Total angle is now about 26° past vertical. I think this is plenty far over center. What do you think?
shorterplate.jpg

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
I think that looks good - should work. Keep the lift to a minimum to reduce the "drop" when the lever is lifted.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS