Workbench detail opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
The first big project at the new place will be a new workbench. Roubo - no split, soft maple, laminated top about 24x72x3 inches. I have read and researched workbench design extensively, so I am mostly looking for your opinions on some design details from those with experience.

1) Which front and end vises do you like? I own this “large front vise” (bought it for my last torsion box bench but that never really came together) http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=31137
I am favoring a front leg vise, sliding deadman. Maybe use the “large front vise” I have as an end vise?
If not, do you prefer a tail or wagon vise for the end?

2) Do you favor breadboard ends vs exposed endgrain? If covering endgrain, which specific design do you like?

Factors are cost, build efficiency (but not at the expense of long term suffering), functionality for a broad range of projects. Cosmetics are less of a concern.

TIA

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Chris, my opinion FWIW:

100% go for a leg vise. I wanted a traditional and historical vise so I went with the Lake Erie wooden screw. It’s an excellent screw if you want a wooden one. Frankly, take the historical side out of my equation and Benchcrafted would be my absolute hands down first choice. Their stuff is well thought out and very high quality.

For an end vise, If cost is a major issue you could recycle your current front vise. I use lots of hand planes to do hand work. Your current vise will probably severely rack if you clamp off center. Most of the hand plane work I do is along the very front of the bench which would definitely be off center. You could test your current vise and see if it will work or tends to rack.

For my own unique purpose, I use a Veritas surface vise and It’s perfect for why I use it but not a 100% substitute for some other end vise. Benchcrafted makes an incredibly smooth action end vise. If you buy a leg and end vise together, they used to offer them at a package discount.

The other end vise that looked interesting is the Veritas that mounts at the very front edge of the bench. I haven’t seen or tried that one but I have extremely high confidence in Veritas/Lee Valley products. I eliminated it primarily because my bench is somewhat thin for a Roubo, but a little thick for that specific vise. It also isn’t a historical vise. Your 3” thick top is pretty thin compared to many Roubos. I believe that the Veritas can be inset to work on your proposed bench. The #1 positive (besides their general high quality products) is that end vise appears to work extremely well for clamping narrow stock near the front edge.

Breadboard on a Roubo. Why? Don’t recall ever hearing of that. Your opening up a world of cross-grain issues. I will consider cross-grain when it makes some sense. I’m not sure why you’d need that on a Roubo.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Leg vise it is. The Benchcrafted solution is certainly slick. I have seen some DIY mechanisms, but it may be worth the money for a smooth quick leg vise.
I’ll have to see about the end vise. If I go with the Benchcrafted on the leg vise, I’m leaning toward a less expensive solution fo the end. The Veritas end vise is quite a bit cheaper. I may go with the Veritas if the vise I have looks like it will rack. I hadn’t thought about the racking with the force close to the front.

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another vote for Benchcrafted

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    569.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 258

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Oops! Phil’s photos reminded me of one more item for the leg vise. He has a St. Peter’s cross or I think Benchcrafted calls theirs the crisscross. You absolutely will want that. Sell a kidney if that’s what it takes to add that to your build. Seriously, ask Phil his opinion but I feel it’s a “must have” part of a good leg vise. Unfortunately, I don’t have one and my back is protesting my misdirected frugality.

I think some others may market something similar but Benchcrafted has a sterling reputation for quality and performance.

I spent a great deal of time on the various homemade bench screws. Tried a few versions. The homemade ones are a big waste of time. Try the Benchcrafted version once and you’ll never look back.

I skipped anatomy, we do have two kidneys...don’t we?

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Oops! Phil’s photos reminded me of one more item for the leg vise. He has a St. Peter’s cross or I think Benchcrafted calls theirs the crisscross. You absolutely will want that. Sell a kidney if that’s what it takes to add that to your build
Got it. If you see my kidney in the classifieds, you’ll know why.:D

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have that style of front vise that you have listed, and although it works, it does rack, and that is annoying to me. The Lee Valley one that has two mechanisms with a chain are seem to solve this problem from what I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS