Work Sharp Eccentricities

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
After the MWTCA meet, I picked up a Work Sharp at Woodcraft. When I fired it I heard a click, click and noticed horizontal movement. Removed the glass plate and ran it with the same results. I know it's not supposed to be as quiet as a Thorens turntable, but I'm thinking it's a bit noisey and wobbly. :icon_scra

So whadda ya think Works Sharpist? How smooth does yours run?
I didn't put any blades to it, thinking I could do more damage than good.

TIA,
Roger

nelsone

New User
Ed
Don't have one or know much about them, but that doesn't sound right to me. I'd take it back to WC and exchange it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hmm, my Work Sharp makes a little bit of noise (motor/ belt), and there is a little bit of eccentricity to the glass plate, but not so much I'd be afraid to put a chisel to it. If you want to swing by, you can compare it to mine. But from your description, I'd take it back to Woodcraft and exchange it - mine doesn't click.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
My WS3000 runs pretty quietly, too. And the only eccentricity seems to come from me not being able to get the papers centered on the glass plates.

Definitely no clicking, however.

jimwill48

James
After using mine to sharpen 6 chisels and i plane iron since Sat. I've noticed that its not quite but not noisy either. I ran one of the glass wheels with no paper on it and it ran true, put paper on in and it "seems" to my eye as not running true. But its really just a optical illusion because I can't center the paper 100% perfect. If you watch the video that came with the Worksharp it also looks out of true. But this sucker really does work, I've never had such sharp chisels. :eusa_danc

James

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmm, maybe I should get the HF dial indicator out and see how eccentric it is. With the glass disk off and viewing from above, the wobble is noticeable.

One of the pluses about buying locally from retailers like WC is they are pleasant to deal with and you never have to ship a product back to manufacturer. Heck, it's fun to have an excuse to revisit them. 'Dems good beeble :icon_thum

Thanks,
Roger

M

McRabbet

Roger, mine runs true and is quiet, too! I'd take it back if I were you! (Sorry for the rhyming; must be my timing!)

It was good to see you at the M-WTCA Meet; seeing so many tools and friends made it a day-long treat.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Rog! Mine runs quiet also (normal motor noise). If it's clicking I think I would return it.
...And while you're there go ahead and pick up some other stuff too!!!:tool::tool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS