work in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Just started this panel. Shooting for a graphics art look and trying to make a three dimensional painting basically. The one photo is the initial design phase with the design and research material. The second photo is after about 12 hours of work laying out the basic contours and feather groups.

All comments are welcome. I will be posting a step by step process on my blog at my website.

Thanks

Stave
www.stromcarver.com

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very nice.

How did you do the background shading? Looks like its airbrushed.

stave

New User
stave
The background was sprayed with a wood toner. I also sealed it with shellac so I could carve the raven without messing up the background. Trying something new and it makes the bird jump out. I think it may be the beginning of a series of carvings.

Stave

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
You do some incredible work. What kind of bird? It looks like a crow or raven to me. What kind of wood are you using?

Steve

stave

New User
stave
The bird is a raven carved in 8/4 basswood. I plan on posting the latest picture tomorrow.

Stave

stave

New User
stave
Chris, I plan on using shellac followed with wax. I will also color the eye gloss black leaving the rest of the raven a natural finish. The eye will add just enough life and add a little pop.

stave

New User
stave
Unfortunately the drawings is not mine. I usually work from my own drawings of from photographs. I have filing cabinets, book shelves and a computer packed with research material and drawings. While researching ravens for another carving I came across this and just could not resist interpreting in wood.
I will be posting another update of the carving in the next day or so.

Stave

stave

New User
stave
Thanks for the kind comments. I am going to post a finished picture at some point. Right now I am trying to work through some problems with the feather details. I get it done sometime soon!

Stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS