Wop, wop, WHAP!!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Earlier today was cutting out Toys For Tot's Cars on band saw, when I heard wop, wop, WHAP! The blade had broken ( not at the weld.) Got to thinking about it, and on a combination of two blades, over the years, I had cut out over TEN THOSAND cars. Each car requires about nine inches of cuts (all curved) in 2X stock. This means each blade cut about 3/4 of a mile of 2X stock. Blades were Lennox bimetal, 1/4", 6TPI, hook pattern, bought from Woodcraft Bands (now Union Saw.) Put spare new blade on and continued cutting. Tomorrow will be ordering another blade from Union Saw.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Wow. That's quite a testimonial.
When I read the thread title I was expecting a poly tire failure. That's what they sound like some times.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Those bi-metal blades last forever and cut straight.

1/4” wide blade, what was the thickness and also the size of your bandsaw wheels?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Those bi-metal blades last forever and cut straight.
I use them on both of my metal cutting saws and that statement is quite correct. Years back I decided it was time to change blades since the blade had been on the saw for such a long time. I put on a new blade and the cutting performance didn't improve one bit. Lesson learned.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Wow. That's quite a testimonial.
When I read the thread title I was expecting a poly tire failure. That's what they sound like some times.
Last year, both upper and lower tires failed within hours of each other. They had been on saw since 2000, so I guess it was time. They were installed at same time first Lennox bi-metal was installed. Saw is a DELTA ( USA made) 14" with riser block

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I really don't know how to commend you enough for what you give back to your community. 10,000 gifts for kids who might not have gotten anything for Christmas if not for you and Toys For Tots. You are the embodiment of a love for our craft and a commitment to your community. God bless you for your compassion and spirit of giving to others less fortunate.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
It's hard to beat that USA made Delta. That's my #1 band saw. My other saw is a Shopsmith 11 in. with a Carter Stabilizer, the world's fastest scrollsaw. That's turned out to be a great team. Those bi-metal blades are very tempting, but they're a bit above my pay grade. I get my blades from Farris Belt & Saw. they custom make blades, and their blades have fine for my work. Their shop is also about a quarter mile from my shop. They also sell the bi-metal blades and about any type blade there is. Their stock includes several hundred widths and styles from 3/16 to 4 in.

Pop

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I really don't know how to commend you enough for what you give back to your community. 10,000 gifts for kids who might not have gotten anything for Christmas if not for you and Toys For Tots. You are the embodiment of a love for our craft and a commitment to your community. God bless you for your compassion and spirit of giving to others less fortunate.
To those to whom much has been given , much is expected. I've been blessed all my life. All of my needs have been met. Never once has "the wolf been barking at my door," but I did hear him down the street a couple of times. I do remember the fun of laying on my back in 20 degree weather at 2:30 AM putting a transmission in a car, which, later, at 3:30 AM we used to throw papers that same morning. It was a very SHORT night.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
#inspired

I feel a bit motivated. I'm sure there are hundreds of videos out there, but who better to ask than the person that has made 10k.

Would you mind posting pictures of your cars and any tips/tricks learned over the years?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
#inspired

I feel a bit motivated. I'm sure there are hundreds of videos out there, but who better to ask than the person that has made 10k.

Would you mind posting pictures of your cars and any tips/tricks learned over the years?
Bruce is a member of TWA (Triangle Woodworkers Association). TWA as a whole does an amazing job with Toys for Tots. They have embraced it forever. Many members contribute both individually and in hosted workshops. I belonged to TWA when I lived in Cary. I was even materials chairman for a couple years. I used to buy wooden wheels in batches of 5k and yards of dowels. Here is the link to there web page on Toys for Tots. If you recognize faces you will see several NCWW members. trianglewoodworkers.squarespace.com - Toys for Tots 2016

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I too wish to commend Bruce and TWA for their charitable efforts. Coming from a family of six and my father being hospitalized for months at a time when I was in my single digits, there were several Christmases that if it hadn't been for our church, there would not have been any presents for us. Such efforts mean a whole world in teaching kindness and charity to those left in want. I'm now inspired to present this to our local woodcraft group, Western Piedmont Woodcrafters. Thanks again Bruce!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Here's the template I used on 1/4" hardboard, in case you want to make some.

1626787375132.png

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Joe, we have changed the template over the years. The cowl area is now a slope, to allow for easier sanding is the biggest difference.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Glad to hear that because the most time consuming part of the entire toy was getting the saw mark from the windshield/hood transition. Maybe someone still doing these will put up one of the new templates for the group to use. I was doing 50/year until my allergy got me but it's a project that will put a woodworker in the Christmas spirit!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
From what few little cars I've made, I also considired that transition area to be a potential annoyance for sanding. I measured the diameter of my smallest sanding spindle and used that radius as a transition curve. It worked.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS