Woodworking stops near Asheville

JonasBailer

New User
JonasBailer
Will be just north of Asheville for the week and am wondering if there are any highly recommended woodworking shops or galleries with great woodworking pieces I should make time to see? Planning to stop by Klingspors for sure. Ideally I’d find a source for a block of 16/4 walnut for my workbench end cap while I’m in the area too.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Asheville has dozens of galleries downtown. Also the gallery at Grove Park Inn has some of the best artisans in the state featured. There is also a gallery right beside the blue ridge parkway that features local artisans. I have not been post covid so many may have closed due to lockdowns followed by the poor economic situation now.

cyclopentadiene

User
I really miss Asheville hardware. They had great prices on slabs as well as some unique lumber not available anywhere else.

One of the visits, they had magnolia and I could only fit a 4’ long piece in the trunk of my wife's car. It was about a year before I surfaced it and it was amazing white with grey stripes (but very soft). I wish I had purchased all they had.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Packard Woodworks, a mostly woodturning supplier, is about an hour south in Tryon. Their site advertises 3" walnut. It could be that they will know somewhere that has 4" stock.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Jeff (Cyclo) is referencing the Southern Highland Craft Guild Folk Art Center at 382 Blue Ridge Parkway. I agree that it is always worth stopping there if you are nearby.

gtrboy77

Dean
User
I really miss Asheville hardware. They had great prices on slabs as well as some unique lumber not available anywhere else.

One of the visits, they had magnolia and I could only fit a 4’ long piece in the trunk of my wife's car. It was about a year before I surfaced it and it was amazing white with grey stripes (but very soft). I wish I had purchased all they had.
Asheville Hardware was the best. That place was really one of a kind since they had both new stuff and used machines, plus all the slabs of wood. I don’t think there’s another like it. That’s a real bummer.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds a good bit like Klingspor Woodworking, IMHO. However, most of the KW used tools are hand tools, IIRC.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Asheville Hardware was the best. That place was really one of a kind since they had both new stuff and used machines, plus all the slabs of wood. I don’t think there’s another like it. That’s a real bummer.
Agreed, there isn't a place like Asheville Hardware. Klingspor is great, but walking into Asheville Hardware was like walking into an old-timey hardware store, I always perused the used tools and almost never walked out without buying something, even if I was just stopping by there...

cyclopentadiene

User
Agreed, there isn't a place like Asheville Hardware. Klingspor is great, but walking into Asheville Hardware was like walking into an old-timey hardware store, I always perused the used tools and almost never walked out without buying something, even if I was just stopping by there...
The only woodworking store that is better is Highland Hardware in Atlanta. The only place you can drool on every top of the line tool on the planet. If only my budget were unlimited

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The only woodworking store that is better is Highland Hardware in Atlanta. The only place you can drool on every top of the line tool on the planet. If only my budget were unlimited
Agreed, but I have to say going to Highland and Asheville were VERY different experiences. (and maybe it is just me, but I felt more welcomed at Asheville than at Highland)

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
When I went to highland for the first time it felt almost too nice haha I think the glass cases with backlights were a bit intimidating

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Will be just north of Asheville for the week and am wondering if there are any highly recommended woodworking shops or galleries with great woodworking pieces I should make time to see? Planning to stop by Klingspors for sure. Ideally I’d find a source for a block of 16/4 walnut for my workbench end cap while I’m in the area too.
Rik Symonds has a lumber business specializing in large Walnut slabs in Barnardsville. Call and see if he has any 16/4.

address: 1679 Barnardsville Highway Barnardsville North Carolina 28806
web: Old Souls Custom Creations _x000d_
email:
phone: (828) 747-7268

Iopturbo

New User
James
Packard Woodworks, a mostly woodturning supplier, is about an hour south in Tryon. Their site advertises 3" walnut. It could be that they will know somewhere that has 4" stock.
I've driven by there, anything a non turner would find of interest? decent lumber prices?

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I suggest you make sure they accept walk-up customers before going. I don't think Packard does (or didn't during Covid). When I visited there was no store to shop.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Rik Symonds has a lumber business specializing in large Walnut slabs in Barnardsville. Call and see if he has any 16/4.

address: 1679 Barnardsville Highway Barnardsville North Carolina 28806
web: Old Souls Custom Creations _x000d_
email:
phone: (828) 747-7268
Rik's office is just 2 min down the road from my house. Great guy from my limited dealings with him. Have learned a ton from him in just a few short exchanges. Has all manner of slabs around as well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS