Woodworking newbie with questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodywoodpecker

New User
Wood Woodpecker
Hello folks! This is an excellent website. I have just started to learn woodworking and I must say its very exciting. I am interested in making basic closet organizer/shelves for our master bedroom closet. My question:

[1] What is the most economical place to shop for white melamine board? How much would it cost per sqft?
[2] Is there any good website that has plans for closet organizers?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
The Home Depot in Knightdale had some white melamine the other day. I think it was $40/ 4x8 sheet. Otherwise they had 1x8 pieces for $10. Be sure to use a good melamine saw blade (at least 80t ATB carbide) or chipping will be a problem. Either use thin strips of hardwood as edging or there is hot melt melamine edging available.

If you plan to make cabinets the corners can be glued with Roo Glue available at Woodworkers Hardware in Minnesota. Other glue may work but this was recommended as the best to use and I had no problems with it.

Not too difficult to work with. Good luck:wsmile:
Warren

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I agree with Warren, HD is probably the cheapest place to find Melamine, but not the best quality. You can get better quality (thicker laminate, better PB core) at places like Wurth Group (AKA Raleigh Hardwood). A high tooth count blade is a must for cutting. I often get the pre-cut 12-16" wide shelf stock from HD for things like closet organizers as you don't have to deal with the cutting and chipping of the laminate. You also can get iron-on edge banding at HD to cover the edges or use hardwood edging for more durability. Roo Glue is best for Melamine, but you also can rabbet, dado or other wise remove the laminate coating from the mating glue area and use any regular wood glue. Confirmat screws are designed for this application and work well also.

Dave:)

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Jackson International in Fuquay had melamine also a while back. Don't know if he still does. There isn't much he doesn't have!!

Tom Swortzel

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Home Depot in Knightdale?? I was thru there about 3 or 4 yrs ago, and didn't notice it. When I livd in K'dale (and later Wendell), there was only the small Lowes in Zebulon, and HQ, then HD & Lowes in Raleigh. I

algustaf

New User
Al
For layout ideas you should check out this link:

http://www.garymkatz.com/TrimTechniques/closet_shelving_layout.html

This site has some great information on residential trim carpentry. I discovered it while I was doing trim carpentry and used many of the ideas and concepts to improve my skills and techniques. Just keep in mind the spatial requirements that the article points out regarding heights and depths for clearance to prevent clutter.

Good luck with the layout

ALG

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
For layout ideas you should check out this link:

http://www.garymkatz.com/TrimTechniques/closet_shelving_layout.html

This site has some great information on residential trim carpentry. I discovered it while I was doing trim carpentry and used many of the ideas and concepts to improve my skills and techniques. Just keep in mind the spatial requirements that the article points out regarding heights and depths for clearance to prevent clutter.

Good luck with the layout

ALG

Ditto on Gary's site - He's a real pro, and has a great way of conveying his ideas/thoughts.

As far as melamine - I wish I could help more - I only have one source for it around here - Home Depot, in white.. If anyone knows other places a guy in the Mountains can get Melamine, please let me know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS