Woodworking Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I wanted to let the users here know that I went to Hickory for the Extravaganza this morning and I had a blast. It was my first time attending, but it will be on my list for next year for sure. I just wish I had more time, but I had to get back to work. My hands were itching to test drive one of those jet lathes at the woodturning workshop located next to ncwoodworkers booth. By the way, everybody needs to get by there and see the clocks that are on display in the ncwoodworkers booth. I enjoyed watching Dennis turn a pen or two. I do wish I had more time to visit that lathe. Maybe next year.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
We're enjoying meeting & talking with all the folks stopping by. The clock won't be there but I'm sure someone got pics. Hope to see more of you members tomorrow and maybe recruit some new ones.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
HEY!!! Wait a minute there Dennis! My clocks may not be as impressive as Ted's wood gear clocks, but they'll still be there tomorow. Stop by and set your wristwatches--you may be early, or late for work Monday, but there's no charge for running on my time.:gar-La;

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
HEY!!! Wait a minute there Dennis! My clocks may not be as impressive as Ted's wood gear clocks, but they'll still be there tomorow. Stop by and set your wristwatches--you may be early, or late for work Monday, but there's no charge for running on my time.:gar-La;
:rotflm::rotflm:

M

McRabbet

We did have loads of people stop in at the NCWoodworker.net booth and indeed, we had some great clocks on display -- from sawman101 and from TedAS. I saw lots of people taking pictures of both of these displays. Kudos to those guys and to Scott Miller (ScottM) and Bruce (sawman101) for their fance scrollsaw demos and to Dennis Reynolds (Gotcha6) for a full day of pen turning demonstrations. I managed to sell (with Charles Lent's help) some Mail-in Raffle Ticket ($125 worth) and Steve Coles (our revered founder) helped out all around and had a continuous demo of the website and our Photo Gallery on display.

I managed to take advantage of some good prices on several woodworking products at the show and got some nice toyl's into my car as the day ended. We had a good day and saw lots of familiar faces, including a nice long visit with the elusive Woodguy1975, John Richard. Alas, no Monty (aka Insomniac). If you can get to Hickory on Saturday, do it!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
We did have loads of people stop in at the NCWoodworker.net booth and indeed, we had some great clocks on display -- from sawman101 and from TedAS. I saw lots of people taking pictures of both of these displays. Kudos to those guys and to Scott Miller (ScottM) and Bruce (sawman101) for their fance scrollsaw demos and to Dennis Reynolds (Gotcha6) for a full day of pen turning demonstrations. I managed to sell (with Charles Lent's help) some Mail-in Raffle Ticket ($125 worth) and Steve Coles (our revered founder) helped out all around and had a continuous demo of the website and our Photo Gallery on display.

I managed to take advantage of some good prices on several woodworking products at the show and got some nice toyl's into my car as the day ended. We had a good day and saw lots of familiar faces, including a nice long visit with the elusive Woodguy1975, John Richard. Alas, no Monty (aka Insomniac). If you can get to Hickory on Saturday, do it!

This is the first one I have missed, I got so behind at work due to my recent illness. If I can get my stuff in line i am going to try to be there tomorrow. However doubtful, I am gonna try. Glad we had a good turnout.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a blast. Great job by Dennis herding the NCWW cats.:notworthy:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Oops!
Glad to have you there, Bruce. I hope you & the Missus got to go to the Stockman's BBQ tonight you were wanting to try at the Fairgrounds.

stave

New User
stave
Went to the Extravaganza to demonstrate today not knowing what to expect...never been before. What a great time and great group of people. I met a lot exhibitors, found some things I had been looking for and learned a lot too.
It was a great time and the day went by really fast. Thanks for inviting me!

Stave

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I liked our approach to demos much better than the structured ones I saw there. Bruce, stave, or I would just start a project and curious people would come up and start to ask questions. It was a more personal approach and people weren't as inhibited about asking anything at all without looking silly. We tried to give them straightforward answers and let them witness a WIP.. Many stayed around and it was a delight to see people leaving the booth with that glint in their eye that said to me, "I could do that!" We also got a few people interested in the website and I hope to see some of them here before long. There were a few lulls in the traffic, but overall both days were quite busy, and although I'm ready to sleep in my own bed again, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I want to thank all who showed up, and especially Charley, who stayed with us all day Friday and partman & his wife who stayed both days even though he didn't sign up to volunteer. Robb was very helpful and a great boost to me to have there Friday, and Steve Coles was also a big boost to the whole experience. Everyone there exemplified to me our motto here ; "The friendliest WWing site on the Internet". I hope we can get an album started because I know SOMEONE got pics!

I know I left some people out, because I was so busy showing people pen turning demos that many of you came & went before I knew it, but I just want to say yhanks again to all for making this event a success IMHO. :icon_thum

Last edited:
I liked our approach to demos much better than the structured ones I saw there. :icon_thum

They seriously need to address the structured ones that they have. you cannot hear the ones they have and really seemed to have a lot less then they have in previous years... I think what the NCWW booth was doing was great and a good thing to do between other structured seminars... The main thing I think they lack structured seminars and do not have ones that reach out to new people looking into woodworking and while I was able to talk to a few manufacture reps that I had questions I think the show was alot smaller then last year when it came to content..

I guess the easiest way to summarize is I would like to spend both days there but not enough to do fill a half a day... they longer they can keep me the more money I might spend so it would be a good idea to add more content to the show to make it more exciting and more of a value to all involved...

Then again I have been around many many many trade shows and that could be part of my disappointment... I had just been to the same place for one on that Tuesday... I wish I could have combined that trip

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I had a great time! Its satisfying to me, to be able to show and share techniques and knowledge with others who are interested in what I'm doing. Talked with many people, met more NCWW'ers, ate a few donuts that Dennis graciously brought along, sold a few pieces, (all Crosses), and most of all, spent 2 days with some of the nicest people in the world! Thanks to everyone that came by, and for the many compliments. Our enrollment will undoubtably increase due to our presence there.
Thanks for your thoughts Dennis, but Beth was tired, and I was more tired than her, so we went to a quick and cheap Japanese resturant for dinner before a quiet evening at home with the pups--raging all over the top and sides of me, teeth flashing, blood chilling growling, fur flying. I actually fell asleep in my chair with that taking place in my lap. Ahhh...be it ever so humble.:eusa_booh

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
First one I have missed in awhile...Sounds like you fellas did a great job....Um always amazed at the talent thats out there when I walk in and see the different projects....congrats to those who were anle to help:eek:ccasion1

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here are the only photos I had time to take:

This is a letter opener I made Saturday. It's from a burl I bought at the 2010 Picnic.

And here's a pen I made too. The Purple-heart was a 'Design modification' made after the sleeve seized up gluing it in. The pen is Tulip-wood. Both items were finished with beeswax.

....and here's our Founder helping out to the end and being supervised by sawman101. Photo is a little blurry because either Steve or I were moving too fast. Don't wanna really say which.

bwat

New User
Bill
Good to see you guys Friday morning:icon_thum Hope the raffle is successful - I'd love to take home that dust collector or drill press or.......:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS