Woodworking Clubs in Western NC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Since all you guys in the Triangle can get together for the Triangle Woodworkers Association mtgs at the Klingspoor Store in Raleigh, a thought :idea: came to mind for us "mountain folk". Are there any woodworking clubs in our area (Asheville, Hendersonville)? I know of the Greenville Woodworker's Guild ('tho I've never been to a meeting), but I'm curious about our area -- or even Charlotte.

Phil

New User
Phil Capper
I just noticed ,somebody forgot to set the post time clock back this fall.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Rob,

I had heard somewhere that there is or was a group of turners in the Asheville area but I'm not aware of the details. My hope is that we can start something up as the membership in this group continues to grow in the West. We'll have to figure out somewhere to meet since none of the woodworking stores have decided to grace us with their presence yet. Somehow the tool department at the new Lowes lacks that cozy feel...:lol: Woodcraft tells me they have "plans" to open an Asheville store in the "future" but no telling when or where that might be.

If we start small maybe we can rotate between shops and find someplace else as we outgrow that. I'm open to any suggestions.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Phil said:
I just noticed ,somebody forgot to set the post time clock back this fall.

Actually, it it an individual member setting in you cp options. I just fixed it for you.

M

McRabbet

Steve - I'd be interested in supporting a local club if we could get a place to meet and attract enough interested and knowledgeable people. I've only been in H-ville for 20 months so I'm just getting to know a few people (none are woodworkers) and places -- I agree that the big box stores are not warm and fuzzy places, so a Woodcraft store in the area would be a welcome addition.

Steve D said:
Rob,

I had heard somewhere that there is or was a group of turners in the Asheville area but I'm not aware of the details. My hope is that we can start something up as the membership in this group continues to grow in the West. We'll have to figure out somewhere to meet since none of the woodworking stores have decided to grace us with their presence yet. Somehow the tool department at the new Lowes lacks that cozy feel...:lol: Woodcraft tells me they have "plans" to open an Asheville store in the "future" but no telling when or where that might be.

If we start small maybe we can rotate between shops and find someplace else as we outgrow that. I'm open to any suggestions.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Let's see if we can't begin to pull something together for January. That will give a little time to pull something together, build a list of interested people in the area and come up with a secret handshake. :lol:

McRabbet said:
Steve - I'd be interested in supporting a local club if we could get a place to meet and attract enough interested and knowledgeable people. I've only been in H-ville for 20 months so I'm just getting to know a few people (none are woodworkers) and places -- I agree that the big box stores are not warm and fuzzy places, so a Woodcraft store in the area would be a welcome addition.

Big Guy

New User
Michael Humphrey
:-D
You can count me in. Depending on the location of the meetings, I will help in any way.
Just keep me informed via email.
:icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Well, for at least the next three months I'm in. I just got a 3 month temp job in Kings Mtn and will be staying in Forest City instead of Anderson.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hello Guys,
Yes, here in the west we are kinda removed from all of the "happening" places, groups etc. Particiapation in most things means a good drive. Some of us in Mid-West Tool Collectors have talked about getting some things going here in the western end of the state, and actually had an informal get together and tool sale in Burnville last fall with a pretty good turnout. As for woodworking clubs in this area, there's the Carolina Mountain Woodturners (website shortcut attached)

http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org/

They are a very talented group and have some of the national reknowned turners come and do demo's and such. I'm really not a turner, so I've never gone to any of their meetings. There's also a carving group in the Asheville area, really nice bunch of guys and ladies, and I've meet some of them at the Mountain State FAir. I was going to go to some of their meetings but never have.

I would be interested in participating in a group. We have a lot of talent and knowledge here in our NC Woodworker group all over the state as well as here in WNC. It would be great to get together and do some show and tell, special techniques, etc. As far a a meeting place, David's pub idea is a winner, but most pubs wouldn't appreciate the sawdust. I agree that the box stores are not appropriate for a number of reasons. Some random ideas: B&K Tool in Asheville; the folks at Warren Wilson College would probably be interested (I helped do a wood plane demo for them one time), maybe some of the community colleges- Haywood Community College has a woodworking program. The number of people in our turn-out and what we want to do at the meeting will also be factors. These are some ideas, lets continue the discussion.
Best Regards
Randy O.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Randy, those are some great thoughts. It might make sense to do a pub run in January to formulate some ideas. Asheville is probably more central for the folks here in the Western end or maybe Black Mountain. I agree that the ultimate location will depend on what we want to do in the meetings. Any type of demo would rule out public places and push us toward one of the schools. I've been in B&K and there space seems limited unless they have some kind of a shop area out in the warehouse that I haven't seen.

M

McRabbet

Thanks for resurrecting this thread -- I was going to follow-up after the New Year (Steve and I had already talked about getting a brainstorming session together in January), and everyone's suggestions sound great. I've never been to B&K's in Asheville, but anywhere would be good. It is imperative that everyone get yourselves on the Member Map to help see where the best concentration of folks may be -- but I'm game for a meeting in Asheville or at Warren Wilson or where ever. I'll get a member list together from info here on the site and will get a list out. Sounds like we've got interest from Hickory, Charlotte/Mt. Holly/Forest City to Asheville/Hendersonville/Horse Shoe to Clyde and Marshall.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
B&K has a warehouse in the back that's pretty roomy, but I don't know the guy very well and don't know if he would be interested, it was just a thought with tool stores in mind. The pub meeting for the first time may be good. We can meet and kick around some ideas. Let's get some of the other western guys thoughts and definitely pursue this.
My Best
Randy O.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Many moons ago I attended an evening woodworking program sponsored by Buncombe County Parks/Rec (or maybe AB Tech?) at the Senior Center on Kenilworth Ave in Asheville. They had a very nice woodworking shop in the basement. Not sure if that facility is still there or would be available but they had a large meeting space upstairs.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS