Woodturning Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
I recently bought a Grizzly G1076 14" lathe. It came with a set of Marples tools. Can anyone tell me if this is a good beginners set of tools? There are 8 tools in the set - 3 gouges, 2 skews, 1 scraper, 2 parting tools.

Any suggestions on a good book or DVD to buy to study on technique?

Thanks,

TNScrollSawRich

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Do you have a method and any needed equipment for that method to keep them sharp?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.65 Safari/534.24

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Rich,
they are not bad tools but not the best depending on what direction your turning preferences will take you.Use them to learn to turn and sharpen your tools and when you feel confident in your abilities then it is time to move up to doug thompson tools (my favorite) or something of that quality. Do you have a bench grinder? If not find one and start acquiring the necessary jigs for consistently positioning your gouges on the grinder and keeping your scraper(s) at a consistent angle.You definitely want to learn to sharpen with a cheaper set of tools and then move up.If you have the ability to work with metal fabbing you can also make alot of your own tools once you decide on a direction.Look around in your area for a turning club. Good Luck in your progress,
Greg
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
Thanks for the input. I do have a grinder and bought the Wolverine jig to grind them. I know how to grind them. I don't know much about the Doug Thompson tools (other than I know a Doug Thompson in Rhode Island). I'll practice and play with them. I have some green red cedar and oak that I got from some neighbors.
is there another wood that I should learn on? I'll look for the Memphis turners club.

Thanks again for the advice.

CarvedTones

Andy
Thanks for the input. I do have a grinder and bought the Wolverine jig to grind them. I know how to grind them. I don't know much about the Doug Thompson tools (other than I know a Doug Thompson in Rhode Island). I'll practice and play with them. I have some green red cedar and oak that I got from some neighbors.
is there another wood that I should learn on? I'll look for the Memphis turners club.

Thanks again for the advice.

I am partial to Sorby tools, but it was as much by chance as anything else that I ended up with a couple. They are my best lathe tools. I have hear good things about the Thompsons also.

Learning to turn with green wet wood, my favorite is making mushrooms or Christmas trees (skinny pointy mushrooms :) ) out of branches or saplings about 3" or less in diameter between centers. [STRIKE]If[/STRIKE] When you get a catch, the stock will just stop and the spur center will spin harmlessly, but with enough friction to start moving again when you pull the tool away. You will need to tighten the headstock a few times.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
There is no comparison between Sorby's and Thompson Tools,especially dollar for dollar when you consider the kind of material Doug makes his tools from.They hold an edge alot longer than most and you save by turning your own handles.Check them out at www.thompsonlathetools.com.You can check out the 2030 and 2060 tools at Craft Supplies www.woodturnerscatalog.com .there also quite good. Greg

CarvedTones

Andy
Greg,

Unless you have a Sorby to compare to, then you are correct; there is no comparison, at least not in this thread, 'cause I don't have a Thompson. I read the info about their steel. It does sound pretty good and their prices for bare steel are competitive. Sorby makes similar claims about their Scheffield high speed steel and I have been pleased with the ones I have. I also have some cheaper HSS tools that hold up reasonably well but there is definitely a difference. Maybe if someone sends me a Thompson I can make a more knowledgeable comparison. :)

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Hi,
Back to the Marples…. I have not used their turning tools but have many of their hand tools and they are very good. That said, I do not know how new yours are, or if they are HSS. Unless marked, keep water or something to quench them in (very very often) at the grinder. If you blue them the temper is toast if they are not HSS or better.

As to technique.. for bowls I think Lyle Jamieson’s “Bowl Basics, the Easy Way” is the best, followed by Bill Grumbine’s “Turned Bowls Made Easy”

For spindle, the best I have seen is Dave Hout’s “Spindle Turning” but it may be difficult to fine.
For the skew alone, Alan Lacer’s “The Skew Chisel, The Dark Side, The Sweet Side” would be #1 even though he does not address the spindle gouge. Dennis White’s “Turning Between Centers” is very good if you already know a little. There is very little verbiage to explain what he is doing but the video is about 75% where the tool tip meets the wood.

You did not say what type gouges you have. Do NOT use a spindle "Roughing Gouge" for bowl work. For bowls you will need a bowl gouge.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Andy,
I do have both along with some Pro PM stuff from Crown and Thompson Tools are at the top of the list. At face value they are competitive ,if you consider the amount of time you DO not spend at the grinder trying to keep them sharp then they become a heck of a value.BTW I'm thinking that the chance of someone sending you a Thompson Tool is probably kinda low, you should go ahead and buy one so you can take one for a spin. Then you can do a apples to apples comparison and report your findings. Go for it ,you can't take it with you.
Greg

CarvedTones

Andy
I only rarely do bowls and mostly do spindle work, so we probably aren't even apple to oranges right now. My Sorby tools are a spindle roughing gouge, Spindlemaster and a hollowing tool. My other HSS tools are an HF skew and a BB bowl gouge. They don't hold their edges as well as the Sorby tools, but I am not disappointed in them either. All my HSS tools cut well when sharp and none of them dull all that quickly. I am also looking forward to putting some plain old carbon back in the mix on woodwinds. I won a set as a doorprize at the picnic. No HSS tool can be sharpened as well as carbon (which is why you never see HSS carving tools; top notch sets as all carbon) and you can get a smooth enough surface with a sharp carbon skew to avoid having to sand and/or scrape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS