Wood Vinyl Interface Repair

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I know this is not woodworking but it is close and I know of no better source of info than NCWW.
Our kitchen floor is vinyl and it abuts the heart pine flooring in the dining room. The vinyl is peeling at the wood juncture and before it becomes a trip hazard I want to glue it down. There is a plethora of adhesives available but I need one that can be applied into a gap of about 1/8" to 1/4". I don't want to peel it up more to use a caulk tube or spatula on it. Something on the order of a viscous adhesive that I can apply in the gap and weight down the vinyl while it cures without the adhesive oozing out leaving a stain in a high traffic area. Can anyone recommend an adhesive ?

Attachments

• IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 104

TIDE500

New User
Mike
I know this is not woodworking but it is close and I know of no better source of info than NCWW.
Our kitchen floor is vinyl and it abuts the heart pine flooring in the dining room. The vinyl is peeling at the wood juncture and before it becomes a trip hazard I want to glue it down. There is a plethora of adhesives available but I need one that can be applied into a gap of about 1/8" to 1/4". I don't want to peel it up more to use a caulk tube or spatula on it. Something on the order of a viscous adhesive that I can apply in the gap and weight down the vinyl while it cures without the adhesive oozing out leaving a stain in a high traffic area. Can anyone recommend an adhesive ?
If you don't find an appropriate adhesive, what about a saddle?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
the first thing I would consider is some form of contact adhesive.
I think the key to adhesion is how clean the surfaces are.
Lots of masking tape over the adjoining exposed surfaces.
Leave the newly glued strip weighted down for 24 hours.
Lots of weight on the joint. C-clamps would be difficult to use :)
There's always carpet tacks (ugh!)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Getting the surfaces clean will be the hard part. The flooring contact adhesives will work if.... the surface is clean. But, the expansion of the different floor materials potentially can cause the same problem to occur again. It looks like the vinyl was laid over another floor. That never works long term. The original install creates some challenges.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
"Lots of masking tape over the adjoining exposed surfaces. " that's an excellent idea whatever i use.
What about epoxy? (I think what you see under the vinyl is floor leveling compound. We added on to the house 12 years ago and floor levelling compound was needed to make the vinyl flush with the heart pine.) I could use slow setting to give me time to dab it under the vinyl with a tongue depressor, weight it down and wait.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would be more tempted to install a threshold. I don't think what ever you do to "hold down" the vinyl will be a permanent fix... and permanent is obviously a relative term...

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
If the existing adhesive has held for 12 years I would use the same/similar product. I'm sure it was a flooring adhesive.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS