Wood unique to the South suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Got a surprise package in the mail yesterday, courtesy of a friend in Arizona. Inside was three pieces of Desert Ironwood. Amazing stuff! Heavy as heck(won't float), hard as a rock, and color and figure that, to me, is nothing short of impressive.

Flip side:

I've been reading up on it some. Does not grow in an especially large area of the country, thats for sure! Considered a premier choice for knife handles because it is one of the few woods that does not need to be stabilized to use on knife scales. I don't know what stabilizing wood is all about but regardless, I'm glad I don't have to do it.
I put some pics on a knifemakers forum. Many are jealous!

I would like toreciprocate by sending him some kind of wood not commonly available where he is, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Thats why I came here. I'm hoping you may be able to suggest a species native to the southeast, something striking perhaps? I don't know enough about wood species to get any traction on this idea, so if ya'll could jump start my idea for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Not uncommon in the Est, but not native to his area. Sycamore. Quartersawn is especially beautiful. Also a figured piece of Wild Black Cherry would make a great trade. At least I would like to get either one in the mail.;)

Stabilizing is where the wood is impregnated with a hardening material using both vacuum and pressure. Basically plasticizes the wood.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
If you can find some old American Chesnut - and part with it. Sugar maple, not a Carolina tree, but they grow in Tennessee. Maybe some old growth Southern Yellow Pine (Heart Pine)?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'm with Reggie. Cypress is a weed on our coast and I think it has a pleasing grain. See below. Also, the 'knees' make nice carving stock and sand out super smooth.

20140602_111910.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
If your looking for something that is comparable in weight/strength to ironwood I'm with Scott persimmon is a good choice to consider.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Osage is very dense, it would actually be a nice contrast with the wood he sent you. Sinker Cypress/Pine/Oak are beautiful, I can try to take some pics if you like, I have thousands of feet of it.

Chris

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Osage is very dense, it would actually be a nice contrast with the wood he sent you. Sinker Cypress/Pine/Oak are beautiful, I can try to take some pics if you like, I have thousands of feet of it.

Chris
Sinker? Chris, that is a new term on me. Is that the lumber they dredge up from the bottom of the swamps and rivers? Just curious.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
It is, We are recovering them from a 3 mile stretch on the Nottaway River. It was a former sawmill location that was burnt down at the end of the civil war. All axe cut ends. Mainly we recover Cypress, but we do get a good amount of Pine, and some oaks and hickory. One of them was 42" in diameter and 30' long, beautiful 8/4 live edge slabs for coffee table. I'll see if I can find a article the small newspaper wrote up on one of the trips when we were pulling the logzilla from the water.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Plum is beautiful wood and mostly overlooked. I used to turn small boxes of plum when I was younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS