Wood Source for Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I am a relative beginner to the woodworking field. My neighbor had been helping me get started and had provided some nice wood from his stock, but he has gotten out of woodworking because of his health and his wood stock is gone.

I am looking for a wood resource in the Fayetteville/Raleigh area that can be helpful to me in selecting and figuring quantities of wood for projects until I feel comfortable in doing it myself. In looking at the list on this website I see a few sites such as Raleigh Hardwood Center, American Woodyards in Raleigh, East Wake Hardwood in Zebulon, Jackson International in Fuquay Varina, Just Hardwood in Dunn, and the Hardwood Man in Angier.

What has been your experience with these stores? I am looking for a place that is open during the week since I have to go when my job allows. I am also looking for a place that is beginner-friendly who is willing to spend a few minutes with me helping me select wood and figuring how much I need.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
In my experience, American Woodyards is very hit and miss.
East Wake HWs.. great selection, and good people.

I can't speak to any of the others.
I'd also recommend Jeff in one of his Raleigh Lumber runs if you are able to go to Raleigh. I haven't heard a single bad word from any of the sawyers on this board.
Check out this link. I think that some of our local sawyers have checked into this thread. If you are a beginner, they'll likely be glad to help you along.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Clay - is American Woodyards still in business ? I thought they'd gotten out of retail in..2005 ?

Raleigh Hardwoods is a good place to shop but very expensive relative to other options.

There's also Capitol City Lumber near the NC State Vet College..ok for small purchases but relatively expensive and all their material is S2S and stored in non-climate controlled warehouses (read: subject to warp).

Would not recommend Jackson International to a new woodworker..the guy just barely offers retail sales (you're basically on your own) plus he does not stock much in the way of common domestics.

The Hardwood Store of NC (in Gibson, NC) is one I'd highly recommend. A bit of a drive, but they do offer delivery for a fee. I *think* they offer planing for a fee if you do not a planer.

Lastly and most importantly - the sawyers on this board. Check them out and buy from them. You can see their willingness to help out by viewing their posts on this website.

A last suggestion, you might want to buy during one of the occasional group buys. It's a chance to meet fellow woodworkers, plus a chance to pick their brains.

-Mark

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would pick up some stock at Jeff's next lumber run. Personally, I like to buy it when the price is right and have it when I need it. As for figuring quantities, I am sure a lot of the members here would be more than willing to help you out. Post what you are doing and what your thoughts are and you will get lots of input and suggestions.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Clay - is American Woodyards still in business ? I thought they'd gotten out of retail in..2005 ?
I don't think they are in business for drive up sales. I know they still saw logs. At least they still have a set up at the rail road tracks across from the State fairgrounds. If you did happen to drive up, they may have something for you. If you have a UNC shirt on, they'd just as likely tell you to leave than help you. LOL

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'd try Jeff, Ivey, or Kyle if you are located near any of them. I'm sure anyone of them would help you in choosing or picking out wood.

Jimmy

J

jeff...

Here's the best source for lumber for any woodworker. ;-)

attachment.php

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Another place not mentioned is the Klingspor Woodworkers Shop on Crapital Blvd. They usually have a nice selection of wood, and decent prices, and have helpful staff there to help you with your selection, especially if you ask for help and explain your experience level.
Another thought is to run your projects by us here, and you will get excellent advice on wood selection, and how to determine quantities. Then arrange to meet with another member at the store of your choosing for help picking out the actual stock...I love to help folks spend their money on wood :-D

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS