Wood ID...Probably Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I saw these beside the road and just couldnt pass them up being a turner..Im pretty sure it is oak???.I will cut into a bowl blank ,remove some of the pith and seal the endgrain for now.Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC03204.jpg
    DSC03204.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 152

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Not sure its oak. From the coloring in the cut, and the amount of sap wood, it looks more like sweet gum to me. I would seal all exposed raw wood instead of just the ends.

With all the color variation, sweet gum makes some attractive items, especially turnings (in my opinion, anyway). Due to all the cross-linked grain, its a little difficult to work with, and really tough to dry into flat boards. It is also very difficult (right on the edge of impossible) to split straight with a froe, etc. If you try to split down a corner of the cut and it won't cleave off nicely, its more likely sweet gum.

I do use it for some "furniture" type work, but have mostly used it for biscuit trays, etc. Unlike red oak, though, it does make a water tight bowl.

JMTCW

Go

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You guys are good. I can't tell anything from that picture.

LOL. A couple years ago or so, I slabbed out about 300bf of sweet gum, about twice that in red/white oak, about 200bf of wild black cherry, and about 1000 bf of syp with a chainsaw mill. I managed to get fairly familiar with those specific woods, and remember the sweet gum in particular because it was such an ornery wood to work with. It dulled my saw chains about twice as fast as red oak, and the cutting speed was also slower.

That said, the odds of me being wrong are higher than being correct.

Go

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I cut into rough blanks for now.Is it ok to leave bark on them?I know the beetles like to get in where that bark is on some woods.t

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Most wood turners will immediately rough out a bowl when they get green wood. Once the bowl is roughed out, it is immediately sealed and set aside to dry. Leaving the log form as-is or even sealing the ends of the log runs a very high risk of checking and wood failure.

Roughed out bowl blanks sealed with green tinted Anchorseal, a wood sealant wax emulsion.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I cut into rough blanks for now.Is it ok to leave bark on them?I know the beetles like to get in where that bark is on some woods.t

You can leave the bark but it's much easier to remove while the wood is green and the bark retards drying.

It's really tough to identify trees by the bark because it can look very differently depending on the age of the tree and the specific species.

True South Sawmill

New User
Corey
Definitely gum, mostly sap wood. Probably make some nice bowls! I'd peel that bark off with a draw knife, or old chisel. Then keep them inside to dry.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
It probably is sweet gum......Bunch of it around here..I could have compared it to some of the trees but didnt even think about it...Been working too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS