wood expansion and contraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassndboat

New User
Mark
I am building a cedar chest. The outside is red oak and it will be lined with cedar. Underneath the top is also lined. I was wondering if the two woods might expand at different rates. I am also wondering how I should attatch the cedar. I was thinking about using pin nails and no glue. I'm just trying to keep it from splitting when I put it in the house. Thanks for any advice, Mark. :eusa_thin

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure if the inside (cedar) is thin enough and assuming similar grain orientation you should be ok. I would think it would be like veneering right?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
We had an old Lane cedar chest, oak on the outside with the entire interior cedar lined.

The cedar lining was bevel edged tongue and groove panels with 2 or 3 small nails at each end, depending on the width of the panel. I don't think any glue was used. Since the panels only had a couple of nails, they were free to move. The tongue and groove hid any gap that formed as the panels shrunk in width.

bassndboat

New User
Mark
Thanks for the advice Peter. The cedar I'm using is only 1/4 thick and it is tongue and groove, so I guess it would be like veneering.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mark: Just for future reference, here's a web site that calculates wood movement (among other things). Click on the third icon from the left (board w/ arrow going across grain) and enter the type of wood you're working w/.

The Woodshop Widget

Bill

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Mark,

IMO, 1/4" thick is too thick to consider it veneering. You definitely have to consider wood movement, like you have. If the grain direction is the same across the oak and cedar, I would take a look at the wood movement calculator and see how much the species differ in movement in response to humidity changes. You might be able to get away with pinning the cedar - but pins will impede movement to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors