Wishing I had nicer boots today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
So I don’t really have a good pair of all-season boots: used for yard work, trekking through snow, in a garage or shop setting, etc. And with the rain/ sleet/ snow today I wish I bought a new pair in the fall. For the past few weeks I have been browsing boots options (danners vs red wing, etc and 8” vs 6”). I knew ow there was a thread a few years ago regarding footwear and boots. But I’m optimistic more opinions have been formed since that post. I want a nice insulated pair, but are great insulated boots great all year long?

Does anyone have a preference for boots? I’m not afraid to pay up for a quality pair, and would prefer paying for one pair which can be used for years and recrafted at a later date rather than multiple pairs. Please tell me the pros and cons you have experienced with your favorite boots. And, is there a specific retailer you prefer?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So I don’t really have a good pair of all-season boots: used for yard work, trekking through snow, in a garage or shop setting, etc. And with the rain/ sleet/ snow today I wish I bought a new pair in the fall. For the past few weeks I have been browsing boots options (danners vs red wing, etc and 8” vs 6”). I knew ow there was a thread a few years ago regarding footwear and boots. But I’m optimistic more opinions have been formed since that post. I want a nice insulated pair, but are great insulated boots great all year long?

Does anyone have a preference for boots? I’m not afraid to pay up for a quality pair, and would prefer paying for one pair which can be used for years and recrafted at a later date rather than multiple pairs. Please tell me the pros and cons you have experienced with your favorite boots. And, is there a specific retailer you prefer?

I couldn't imagine life with out at least 3 pairs of good quality rubber boots. One pair stays on the porch and is used to tend to the animals every day. Two pair are turned upside down and in between the bed and back window of my pickup truck. One pair is mine and the other pair fits my wife. Great for when ever you need to get you feet muddy or snowy and your not at home. As a matter of fact I tore up my last tennis shoes last fall. I keep telling myself I'm going to get a new pair but I haven't yet and honestly I don't miss them at all. I only own boots now, nice dress boots to go to town in. Fuzzy slippers for when I'm in the house and rubber boots when working outside. The best thing about rubber boots is you can get them as muddy as you like, walk in the creek to clean them off.

I would not own a pai of insulated rubber boots. Feet sweat, get cold because their wet, then your miserable.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I would not own a pai of insulated rubber boots. Feet sweat, get cold because their wet, then your miserable.

I have a pair of inexpensive rubber insulated boots for running to the barn to feed horses and run the dogs around in the mornings before work. The only time I have an issue with sweat is middle of summer if I put them on mid day for some reason and wear them for an extended period. Otherwise no issue.

I have a pair of Double H 8" lace up boots that I've owned for probably 10-12 years. Not wearing them much these days, but for about 8 years wore them 3-4 times a week riding horses. They are probably one of the most comfortable pair of boots [or shoes] I've ever had on my feet. I have a very high arch and generally have to wear an insert in all foot wear. Never had to do that with these boots and they have never hurt my feet.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was having trouble with my feet, very painful to walk or stand for even short periods of time. Then i got my first pair of Danner duty boots. Just like the police and mail delivery folks wear, they are the best support and have lasted three times as long as any other shoes I ever had, plus they are made in Oregon and can be rebuilt at the factory. When the time comes I'll buy a new pair exactly like I have and send these off for new soles.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Related subject: One thing I have found for comfort and to keep my feet from getting soaked and sweaty in summer and winter is good quality wool socks. If you are going this route, wear them when trying on the boots. Smart wool and Wigwam are both comfortable, but will wear out in a year or so. Darn Tough (made in Vermont) are guaranteed for life and you can get them replaced when they wear out. All can be bought in varying weights so you can adjust for summer and winter.

If you like the wellington style of leather boots, I have had good luck with Justins (the ones I have were made in USA, but not all Justin boots are). I keep them waterproofed using mink oil. Don' think they can be rebuilt, though.

Go

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am a big fan of Lowa boots. The Lowa Renegade is my favorite

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wear a pair of 5.11 6" Tactical Boots that come well over my ankles, and come in varying heights. I wear them summer and winter with no problems with sweaty or aching feet afterwards.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
L. L. Bean boots are good for year round NC weather.

1. Rubber bottoms and leather uppers keep your feet dry and allow them to breathe.

2. Gore-Tex allows the sweat/moisture to escape so that your feet don't get wet and cold from inside the boot. Thinsulate provides warmth and insulation as well.

3. Use different types of socks for the weather season and temperatures.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/354...8&feat=506698-GN3&csp=a&attrValue_0=Tan/Brown

I like these 8" boots for general all-around use but they have several other styles.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I've always had good luck with Rocky boots. Haven't bought or had to buy any lately so hoping the quality is still the same.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I own several pair but my favorites are:

1. Rubber....Muck chore boots with the Vibram sole. Comfortable and dry.
2. Work boots..Rocky Ironclad 8 inch. Awesome hunting/work boots. Very durable.
3. Go to town boots.... Red wing Irish Setters Wingshooters. Some things never go out of style.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
This topic became important to me in our new place. Horses, mud, farmwork, and the like. Early on something heavy landed on my toes so figured it’s was time for steel toes. Anyway, I like the LL Bean boots Jeff recommended for everyday outdoors. I bought some Keen Pittsburgh boots for a comfortable steel toe.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
And for strength and super support, try the Asolo TPS full leather

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been following this thread with great interest. My problem with buying shoes or boots is that very few manufacturers make boots/shoes in the really wide width 5E or 6E - these widths are very hard to find. I have been contacting the brands everyone has been mentioning here and asking them if they make products in the width I need for my tug boats. I will keep y'all informed as some of you may be in the same situation as I am.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Ward, over the years I have worn out a lot of safety towed boots. Redwing, Danner, Georgia Boot, Rocky, Caterpillar, Justin are a few brands that come to mind.

A couple of years back I discovered that certain models of Keen boots fit my feet better than any other boots that I've tried, and now Keens are about all that I wear. I have two pair that I alternate every day (take them off at night and put them on a PEET Boot dryer). I switch between their Detroit model and a pair of their Mt. Vernon model's (made in the USA). The last pair that I bought was $168.00

Hands down they are the most comfortable boots that I've ever worn. I wear mine 12 - 14 hours a day - 7 days a week, either outside on the farm or inside on concrete.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
+3 for Keen boots. I just got my employer to allow me to wear Keen vs. the Bates brand of our required uniform. Better arch support and more comfortable. I've found the great in wet and cold conditions. At 55 my dogs are tired from all the asphalt and concrete surfaces I've stood on for 35 years.

Jim Roche

jim
User
I like Keen boots for arch support and comfort.
I'm a big fan of Keen Shoes and Boots. I wear a pair of Keen Leather, Steel Toed Boots when in the field at work and I love them. They are waterproof as well. I remember when I bought them I was really dreading breaking them in but there was no break-in period at all.
Good luck with your search.

Jim

Last edited:

gritz

New User
Robert
I wear Georgia Boot Romeos in the shop and working around the yard. I got them because my masonry contractor always wore them, saying they are easy on and off and shed everything that hits them. I put them on going into or through the basement shop and take them off on returning to the finished area of the house. I wouldn't recommend them for a field boot.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Raymond, try www.wideshoes.com. Your feet are a little wider than my 4e but my feet are very thick so only certain shoes work and Hitchcock shoes has a lot of options. Bunions probably don't help any nor does arthritis. I'm still looking for something warm, waterproof and lightweight.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
There is a lot to digest here, but I thank you all for your opinions. To me it sounds like the respondents to this thread favor Keen. I’ll have to look into those a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS