Wisdom on a re-saw sled

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Looking at the WEB, looks like the platform and pipe clamp is most popular. Any basic wisdom? Did some cedar by rough guide by hand and it did OK, but no way am I lifting some walnut logs onto it. Yes of course, several expensive commercial ones, but what fun is that?

Do you use free-standing in/out feed rollers, or clamp something to the table?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
How long are the boards you will be resawing? Here is an earlier post I made about resawing some cedar logs. These were about 8" in diameter and around 30" long. A simple sled worked for these. I install a high rip fence and have used in/out feed rollers for longer boards.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I watched Sawman101 use just a straight board and his rip fence plank out some Holly for me

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
If it's very long it gets too heavy for 1 man to handle without asking for trouble. My resaw jigs are very simple, I have 2 that are just 2 boards to form an L to rest the log on and held by deck screws through the back of the upright section. On some ERC I resawed, and Jclk's holly, I just screwed a long, straight board to the back to keep it going straight. On the second side I reattached the board again, with the already sawed face on the table. With 2 straight edges on the log, the rest is a piece of cake. The biggest secret to resawing is power and a a 3 tpi blade, 1/2" for most 14" saws, and 3/4" to 1" for bigger saws. I get really great service from the blades I have welded up at Boston Saw And Tool in Hickory.
Home | Boston Saw & Tool (bostonsawandtool.com)
My 140" x 3/4" x 3t.p.i. run me around $15 or less.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
What Bruce said is kinda what I do as well. THe only difference is I have one each end of the L-board spike log dogs. I use the bucking type over the felling as they are not as big. These things ... about 5-8 bucks a piece

Attachments

• dog spikes.JPG
    dog spikes.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 65

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Boston eh? Another good tip. I'll be sure I drop in on them when I sight see West. This state has so much to see.
I'll make something up today. Size and weight are a big factor for sure. From my experience yesterday, I think my roller stand will work for infeed, but I want more of an outfeed table. I am super happy with what the Shelix head in the jointer does.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you are using a 14" saw (Delta, or clone) I would make a support for edge of the table where alignment pin is. The trunions on these machines aren't exactly heavy duty, plus the adjusting bolt, which supports the table, is on the column side. The weight of your log will be on opposite side from support bolt

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Harvey C-14. Trunnion is far beefier than a Delta or Jet, but a good tip to look at.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS