Wire type for 240v extension cord or new, longer plug assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
What wire designation do I need to either make an extension cord for a 240v 20a circuit or make up a new, longer cord?

I will only be extending 12' for a total of 18' of cord so 12ga should be fine but I would rather go to 10ga. Is there a designation to tell me that a certain cable is flexible enough for this task?

Thanks

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Don't cheap out on the plugs for connecting as that will be where the resistance will happen every time.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have used cord from Lowes (the yellow stuff) and I also bought a roll off of CL. They both work fine but the prices at lowes are a little steep. However if you only need 12 feet it shouldn't be too bad. The connectors are what will be expensive.

At that length I would consider just replacing the tool's cord. Most manufacturers include really crappy cords anyway.

Salem

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

At that length I would consider just replacing the tool's cord. Most manufacturers include really crappy cords anyway.

Salem

Ditto Salem's advice. Either type SJ or SO would be appropriate. Both are very flexible cords with jackets designed for that purpose.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The determinate of wire size is not the voltage but the amperage. For under 50' there is no reason to go to a larger wire than the wire that is used on the existing tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors