Wip dry fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've been working on this Hepplewhite style dressing table for a few weeks now and finally got to the dry fit stage. I saw one in an antique store last year and was able to get a couple of very poor pics and a few measurements before the store owner started giving me the evil eye. I quess I would have been worried too since the thing had a $12,000 price tag on it. This is my first attempt at bell flowers and was not as hard as I thought. The origional had a medalion inlayed in the top and I bought the one in the picture but haven't put it on yet. I can't decide if it really needs it. Any thoughts about using it or not? It's hard to see in the photos but the front has the same curve as the top.

2111.JPG

View image in gallery

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My uninformed and uneducated vote would be "no". I think it detracts from the wonderful curved front and other decorative elements. But, if putting in the medallion means you won't like it and you'll want to get rid of the piece, then by all means do so (and call me right after :))

Very very nice table :eusa_clap

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Does it "need" it? No.
If you don't care about having an accurate reproduction it comes down to your personal taste.
Also, how the table will be used. Will there be stuff on it (lamp, books, etc.) that would cover the area?
Me - I'd go with the inlay. It goes with the period.

p

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I am with Bas, the crossbanding is enough for the top to stand out. If I were going to put any kind of inlay on the top, it might be some small fans in the corners. JMHO

Mike

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Beautiful piece, Larry, and so timely. Timely???...because it's March and your table on the NCWW calendar is March; it's staring me right in the face. Your new creation looks like a lock for next March's centerfold!!:eusa_danc I'm going to drive down your street to see if any of your talent and skill transfers by osmosis (?)

Russ
Will Turn for Coffee

nelsone

New User
Ed
Awesome piece! I'd put the center inlay in if it were me. I think it will add a lot to the piece.

M

McRabbet

Beautiful piece -- I say keep with the original inlay in keeping with the period. It is an expected feature (but the corner style inlay fans suggested by Michael would work, too!)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'm gonna vote for putting the medallion in. I think it will enhance it. Your skill level is so far beyond mine, Larry, that I can't even imagine building something like that. :notworthy:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS