Winterizing the Power Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It's getting to be the time to winterize the power washer. You buy premade mixes to run thru the pump. My favorite is shop made. Combine RV antifreeze, and mineral oil, shake well, and run thru pump. I use about 25% mineral oil, and the rest is RV antifreeze. The first time I did this, I bought a bottle of "Pump Saver" from Northern. Now I just refill bottle with shop made mixture. Mineral oil is sold as a laxative. Don't have to worry, as it's "food grade."

joec

joe
User
I just bought a nice pressure washer along with a premade mixture of pump winterize fluid. I had a hard time when I experimented with getting the fluid into the pump. The instructions said screw the plastic bottle into the intake side and squeeze the bottle while pulling the cord. It did not work very well. How do you get your homemade fluid into the pump?

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Don't neglect the fuel and carbs. I made the mistake of prepping the pump but not the carbs. The stuff that is called gasoline will gunk up a carb if left sitting all winter. I now use the gas sold in the gallon cans from the Stihl dealer; it has no ethanol and has a fuel stabilizer mixed in. The big box stores sell it also.
Had to take the pressure washer to the dealer to have the carb professionally cleaned. When I started using the purchased fuel, I was able to start the unit on the second pull after the winter nap.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I'm swearing off gas with alcohol in it for my small engines. I'm tired of cleaning out carbs or having to swap them out so i can get something to run. I need to research where to find the good stuff but am pretty sure I'm not going to buy it by the gallon at the borg - way too pricey for me.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Due to not being able to find non-ethanol gas in my area, I have used Stabil and Sea Foam in my gas cans. I've only had one failure and had to have the carb replaced on my Stihl leaf blower. I have around 10 small engines I keep running. I always fill my cans with the highest octane gas at the pump, which also helps and the Stabil to keep the gas from breaking down, while the Sea Foam helps to keep the fuel system clean and running more efficiently.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I guess that not all pressure washers are the same. The pump on the one I have slides right off after four bolts are removed. I'll put the pump in a plastic bag and store it in the basement for the winter. I think that might be faster than all of that fluid fool around and probably less risk. I'll blow it out with compressed air at low pressure. It seems to work over the years I've been doing it.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Due to not being able to find non-ethanol gas in my area, I have used Stabil and Sea Foam in my gas cans. I've only had one failure and had to have the carb replaced on my Stihl leaf blower. I have around 10 small engines I keep running. I always fill my cans with the highest octane gas at the pump, which also helps and the Stabil to keep the gas from breaking down, while the Sea Foam helps to keep the fuel system clean and running more efficiently.

Bruce try checking gas stations near the lake. Lake Hickory and others. Many boat owners won't use ethanol either so many stations near lakes carry it. Now expect to pay more.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try the website puregas.org to locate ethanol free gas in your area. They can even give you directions to them on a smartphone. As for stations around the lake,w hen I bought gas in Rock Hill near Lake Wylie, the receipts for ethanol free always described it as 'boat gas'.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS