Wings for Combo Jointer/Planer Machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Since my new house will put me back into a two-car garage, I am considering moving to a combo jointer/planer machine to save some space. A 16" model would be preferred, but a 12" might be all that fits into the budget.

I know a few of you guys have them and I've heard good things, but (at least) one question exists that I just can't seem to answer ... when in "planer" mode, there doesn't seem to be any support wings off the sides.

Seems to me this would amplify snipe with long boards as they quickly loose support as the boards leaves the machine.

Maybe some of you guys/gals that own these can set me straight. Are there any options for extension wings on any of these (Grizzly, Jet, Hammer, Felder, who else?)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have not seen any. The problem with extension wings is that they would get in the way when switching from planer to jointer, defeating the purpose. As for snipe, I'm not having any issues with my Jet. When the board is fed, it is clamped very tightly by the rollers. I typically support the board as it exits the planer (so it doesn't fall to the ground...), but I'm just holding it up lightly, no special effort to keep it absolutely parallel with the table. An outfeed roller would do the trick too.

Having said that, I typically cut parts to rough size before milling, to avoid losing too much material. That means I rarely joint or plane anything over 5ft.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I have a Felder combo. The planer bed is about the sane size as a 'stand alone' planer of the same size. The machine has profiles on all infeed/outfeed tables that accept extension. The cast iron extensions just cantileverd in and can be leveled individually. The extension can be tightened to the table, but I never do. When I plane longe boards, I use an extension on both infeed and outfeed. Don't think is makes a difference in the quality of the cut, but is makes handling so much easier.

Cheers,
Bernhard

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I've been researching this myself, so far, these are the companies I've found that offer 12" ones

jet
laguna
felder/hammer
mini max
rikon
grizzly

I think Jet and the Felder are my top two choices right now. Felder is running a special, about 3200 delivered right to your door. Jet comes in a little under 2700 with the helix cutter. The Felder has the quick change disposable 3 blade system.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
All good information. So, if I understand it right the Felder does come with (or accepts) extensions? Do you have a pic of this? I'm researching online and not seeing it.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
All good information. So, if I understand it right the Felder does come with (or accepts) extensions? Do you have a pic of this? I'm researching online and not seeing it.

I'll take some pics tomorrow of the extensions, how they mount, how they attach to the tables etc.

Cheers,
Bernhard

PS. As to Felder customer service: So far I had only good experiences. However, their fullfillment can be painfully slow at times, especially for items not in stock.

bwat

New User
Bill
Jeremy, you might want to check the floor sample sales at the upcoming Atlanta IWF show, Aug 25-28. All these guys will be there and I read some companies even pre-sell their samples before the show so they can bring exactly what you want.

Road trip???:tool: Good luck. Bill

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Jeremy,

I have the Felder 16" and you can see the pictures with the out-feed extension on the thickness planner in my photo section. I have also added the accessory bar on the out-feed end of the jointer table as well as on the side and out-feed of the band saw table which accept the same 12 x 16 aluminum extension table. I do not worry much about snipe as I rarely cut to length until my boards are fully dimensioned. Even if I didn't have the J/P, I would never consider giving up the extensions on the band saw.

Dino Drosas
herron_2_006.jpg

View image in gallery

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Dino ... yours looks really beat up ... maybe you can just crate it up and send it to me so you can find something in better shape. Send me that support table too. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS