Wine Box Christmas Gifts

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I'm getting started early on Christmas gifts this year. Going to make several of these for my wine drinking relatives and friends.
This walnut box is the prototype.
As I have an unlimited supply of inlay bandings, I thought this would make good use of them.

Attachments

• IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1826.JPG
    IMG_1826.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 194

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wonder how many years those boxes will see as wine gift boxes being exchanged among your family - those are very nice, Matt!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I LOVE the bow detail Matt - can you talk a little more about that?

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I agree, that bow detail is something I've not seen before. Terrific

Of course, the bow makes the box pop. My daughters (both wine drinkers) will go nuts over these!
The bow parts appear to be bent, but they would never hold together if they were. They are cut with a scroll saw from the same kind of "Loaf" from which the inlay bandings are sliced, so they are a match (see picture below). Other than making the loaf, the difficult part is sanding the bows without breaking them. In this case I used a dremel tool with a leaf sandpaper thingy. As you can imagine, they are pretty fragile. I broke a couple until I got the hang of it. But once they are cut and glued (epoxy) to the top, they are not as fragile as one would imagine. I finished the bow parts before attaching to the top. To keep them from flying around while spraying, I double-taped them to a scrap of plywood. It was a fun project, but so time consuming. Thanks for the positive feedback guys...

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Here's a couple more with different inlay bandings. One with a walnut and maple ribbon and inlay banding, and the yellow one is yellowheart, with ebony and holly edges.

Attachments

• IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    506.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    455.2 KB · Views: 122

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Of course, the bow makes the box pop. My daughters (both wine drinkers) will go nuts over these!
The bow parts appear to be bent, but they would never hold together if they were. They are cut with a scroll saw from the same kind of "Loaf" from which the inlay bandings are sliced, so they are a match (see picture below). Other than making the loaf, the difficult part is sanding the bows without breaking them. In this case I used a dremel tool with a leaf sandpaper thingy. As you can imagine, they are pretty fragile. I broke a couple until I got the hang of it. But once they are cut and glued (epoxy) to the top, they are not as fragile as one would imagine. I finished the bow parts before attaching to the top. To keep them from flying around while spraying, I double-taped them to a scrap of plywood. It was a fun project, but so time consuming. Thanks for the positive feedback guys...
View attachment 186217
Thank you Matt!
That makes a TON of sense now seeing it in its "before" state!
Those boxes ARE georgous and I am sure everyone will be happy to receive them!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS