Window Unit AC in Garage Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacaruso

New User
NautiPine
I'm thinking of installing a window unit AC in my garage shop. It is a double car garage with one garage door. I have two windows but no pedestrian door to the outdoors. I am wondering if anyone has experience with similar setups and if they were successful in cooling the space sufficiently for summer time wood working. thanks for any advice/info in advance.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
It can be done. All you are doing is cooling one big room. Get a window unit with enough BTU's to cool the square footage. You could add a fan to move the cold air across the shop better.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
That's the setup I've been working with for about 6 years. I have the walkthrough door to the outside. It's a Sears unit. It works fine. It keeps it about 75 degrees during the hottest part of the summer, but it runs continually. Then I keep a ceiling fan moving the air all the time also.

Tom S

Glennbear

Glenn
One window unit in my 24 x 24 garage/shop keeps the temp at a bearable level but my shop is insulated to residential standards including foam panels on the double overhead door. My window unit is a tad undersized for the square footage but does the job with my air cleaner helping to move the air around. :wsmile:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
My shop is in a 24x24 story and a half detached garage. I have a window unit downstairs, can’t remember the btu rating off the top of my head, and it get the shop down to around 75 degrees fairly quickly. I don’t run it except when I’m working in the shop and I usually start early before it gets too hot in there. No insulation. There’s a fan to help move the air around. There are two smaller units at either end upstairs but I only run them if I need to be up there. It takes longer to heat the space in the winter than to cool it in the summer. Something to do with heat rising :)

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Obtain some disposable filter media, roll or sheet, and install it in front of the return air section of the A/C unit on the outside. CHANGE IT WHEN IT GETS DIRTY! This may be daily, weekly, or monthly. Frequency will vary based on room size, other dust collection, what you do in woodworking, humidity, and the "phase of the moon". Leave the factory installed filter on the inside and clean it as needed. 90% of all compressor failures are caused by poor airflow caused by dirty filters and cooling coils. These failures cause electrical burnouts that get blamed on lightning. Simple dirt causes it, not thunderstorms! Filter media comes with a sticky oil on the surface/ This oil catches the micro particles. Cleaning the media does not really give you NEW media. Some will sneak by.

Jacaruso

New User
NautiPine
My garage is roughly 24x24. Three walls are insulated and have drywall. There is a finished room over the garage as well that has it's own HVAC. It holds a workable temp in the winter fairly well until someone opens the garage door. Then it takes a while to heat back up on its own. No heating system, just my water heater, fridge, and freezer. I have a fan. It is nice, but does nothing for the humidity on a hot summer day. I also have a small two stage dust collector to keep the air fairly clean. I'm thinking as long as the door is closed I should be able to cool it. Maybe I could disengage the garage door opener when I have the AC running and make the kids use the back door. Thanks for the replays. All of them are very helpful.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
I have a better solution for my shed shop. I post a miserable winter picture up on the door so that i remember to appreciate the heat!

Mebane , March 7, 2014

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 111

ptross

New User
peter
a window unit will be fine, especially if you're willing to keep it at 79 or 80 instead of 75. I work summers in my shop cooled to 80 with a small bench fan blowing at me and it's very comfortable. Raising the temp a few degrees opens up way more possibilities.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Similar experiences to those above myself. A small unit does just fine, especially if you turn it on the morning before it gets hot outside. I also use a ceiling fan to circulate the air better, although fan motors do add a little heat.

Envelope insulation is key. Without any, a window unit won't catch up in the middle of summer. With insulated walls, a conditioned bonus room above, and a high quality insulated garage door it will be quite comfortable in August.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Can you say minisplit? you might want to look into one for all year round comfort and HUMIDITY control

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I purchased a refurb unit from Ollie's two summers ago. It works great at cooling down a two car garage in about 20 Minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS