Winchester Chest Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker

New User
Stephen
I’m sure some of you recognize the chest from the Klingspor Show or from Dave O’s post concerning the same. Initially, I considered doing WIP photos & descriptions but those thoughts were short lived as it proved to be quite a task to just “git er done” much less document it. For those interested, I decided to post a few more photos here and offer a little explanation of the construction.

The basic chest is constructed using dovetail and half tail joinery. The drawer blades are set in place with half tails as was the chest bottom. Two sleepers are blind dovetailed into the top and hold the case sides in place in addition to providing a means to fasten the case top down. The case sides were resawed from 8/4 Cherry and bookmatched together to get the necessary width. A bit of a gamble to resaw, but I was able to plane out the bow the pieces took on and squeaked out the required thickness.

The splayed (French) feet are formed by sawing a deep groove in the bottom of the case sides and inserting and gluing a wedge shape forcing a layer of the case side outward. This is done to the front apron of the case as well and mitered into the case sides.

The stringing was largely done with scratch stock using 2 complimentary tools. The first tool was ground with a correct width “tooth” and an inverted “V” into the center. Its purpose was to define the boundaries of the groove. The second tool was not the full groove width and had a square profile to clean out the center of the inlay groove. The Serpentine or undulating surfaces requiring inlay were done differently. I scribed a line outlining the stringing location then used a homemade tool similar to a straight screwdriver to “stamp” the groove following the scribe line.

The drawer fronts are made up of brick layed 6/4 poplar. In other words, the first piece is routed to a master template then the second piece is added to the first and routered to the shape of the first (front face) and so on until the final width is reached. The interior side was bandsawed and spokeshaved to remove saw marks. 1/8 veneers were cut from 8/4 cherry and glued to the drawer fronts (I used hide glue for 75% of the construction). The balance of the drawer is made using traditional dovetail drawer methods.

The finish is rubbed amber shellac over BLO.

Sorry to ramble on….maybe there is a useful tidbit in there somewhere. Stephen

000_00023.JPG

FED_CHEST1.jpg

000_00052.JPG

Living proof Froglips(Jim) worked during the show....

100_0469.JPG

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Beautiful work Steven ! Hopefully next time you can take some pictures of the work in progress, I'd love to ones of you working on shaping the drawer fronts.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
For those who didn't see it, the finish was just stunning. The icing on the cake as they say.

Thanks for the detailed followup.

Finally photographic evidence that I'm more than just a pretty face :tongue2:

Jim

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Beautiful work, I can really appreciate a fine piece of work like that. Wish I could have seen it in person. Well done.

Mike

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
That looks fantastic Stephen.:icon_thum Excellent work.
What kind of wood did you use for the stringing?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Stephen, that is truly an impressive piece of work in all respects.This is the definition of "Heirloom Quality."

Matt

striker

New User
Stephen
Thank you everyone for your all too kind remarks. At times this became the never ending project, your words help it make it worthwhile.

A word about the stringing. Jeff Headley wrote a couple articles for FWW concerning his stringing techniques. I followed his methods as I believe he was demonstrating on a similar chest. Sorry, don't the issue # but they are easily found on FWW online. The stringing material is Kyle's home grown holly. The banding is tiger maple surrounded with costello & holly.

Thanks, Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS