Who is this man and....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks like he has got the art of making shavings down pat. Is that credit to his natural talent or the talent of his teacher :eusa_thin

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DANG that is per-tty. I would say there is some talent running around those British bones. Was it his first time turning???
Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
David said he turned a long time ago. I don't think he missed a beat. He turned two bowls on Saturday. He did a fine job.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cool.........nice looking bowl. That sure is a nice logo on the shirt he is sporting in the picture too.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice work! I was in the store on Saturday, but the door was closed, and I didn't want to disturb the class.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks Mike, definitely a tribute to teacher and student . . . especially considering the language barrier :lol:

You can't hide talent, the bowl looks fantastic David :eusa_clap

Sapwood

gator

George
Corporate Member
Couldn't let it get by without making note of the fact that there are face shields hanging on the wall and none hanging from his head. And the turning is not even between centers, sure would hate to loose a member because a bowl blank launched and caught him between the eyes. I'm not normally anal about safety, but I do practice safe woodworking.

By the looks of things, it won't be long before we start seeing beautiful bowl pictures being posted, way to go Dave.

George

woodguy1975

New User
John
Big Mike said:
I know this man to be inherently talented....

Take a look at this bowl he turned......

That bowl looks awsome. Good job Dave! Probably some good instruction on Mike's part too. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Big Mike

New User
Mike
George, you are absolutely correct. The offer was made and David insisted that his glasses were polycarbonate and that was all he needed. As I told David on Saturday, don't do as I do, do as I say it should be done....I did not wear a face shield either but it was discussed. Thank you for reminding us all that safety is paramount.

George, the bowl was between centers until it was trued up.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Nice work David, definitely a natural. Somehow I see another tool purchase in his future.....

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I went by the store Saturday afternoon to um, return some things, and buy some others. Peeked in the window and saw what was going on, but didn't disturb.

DavidF

New User
David
A good time was had by all I think! Mike was a fine teacher and a nice bloke to boot! I had his un-devided attention as the other people who had signed up cancelled; they missed a good day. The bowls turned out better than I could have hoped. I last did some turning about 7 or 8 years ago and thought I should re-aquaint myself with it as a respite from the long build times of the furniture. On the safety note; my glasses are safety glasses from my work with the robots, but in the future, from a dust point of view, a positive air flow visor would be a nice thing during the sanding phase.

Maybe a lathe is in the future for sure, but at the moment the cost is prohibitive so will just have to go to the occasional class - unless an offer comes that I can't refuse; maybe the Klingspor show next year??

Thanks for everybodys kind comments on the bowls.

DavidF

New User
David
And never, ever, move the tool rest while the lathe is spinning - Isn't that right Mike??? - (In joke)......)never copy the teacher.....

Big Mike

New User
Mike
DavidF said:
And never, ever, move the tool rest while the lathe is spinning - Isn't that right Mike??? - (In joke)......)never copy the teacher.....

Well, it is good to see that you were listening to what I said and not doing what I did.......:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS