Which one?

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
A small group of neighbors want to replace the chop saw that the host has with either model of the Dewalt 12" sliders.

780 has the XPS system- any benefit having that over stop block? We do a lot of repetition, as we make cutting boards for benefit auctions, etc. Anyone get this and do not use the XPS as much as they had envisioned?

779 Seems to be the same, but without the XPS. Anyone have this and regretted not getting the 780?

Thanks for your experience, Ed

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I just went through the same choice whether to get the 779 or 780. I chose the 779 in that I couldn't justify the additional cost of the 780. However, neither of them appears to be built to the older Dewalt standards.
I had a Dewalt 718 slider and think the overall quality is far superior to the 779. In fact, if I can get a good price on a used 718 that is in excellent shape I will probably buy it either as a second saw or to replace the 779 all together. The 718 model is built so much better that if you have the opportunity to get a good used one, I would do just that.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I just went through the same choice whether to get the 779 or 780. I chose the 779 in that I couldn't justify the additional cost of the 780. However, neither of them appears to be built to the older Dewalt standards.
I had a Dewalt 718 slider and think the overall quality is far superior to the 779. In fact, if I can get a good price on a used 718 that is in excellent shape I will probably buy it either as a second saw or to replace the 779 all together. The 718 model is built so much better that if you have the opportunity to get a good used one, I would do just that.
Just the kind of experience that makes this group such a valuable resource- Thank you Frank

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dang, I just saw one and didn't ask if anyone was in the market - I will keep my eyes open...

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Due to the issue with the certificate, or whatever was going on, my request was at least two days delayed.
Someone got the 779, so it's a done deal. Didn't realize they were working such a tight schedule, as the next get
together is next Tuesday.
Thanks for your input, Ed

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the 780 (was able to get it on sale around last Feb. It appears that DeWalt puts their tools on sale about a month after New Years). I think you did fine getting the one without the XPS.

The saw has some faults:

First CAUTION: DO NOT trigger the saw the first time with the saw down and locked!!. When making the very first cut (with or without wood), trigger the saw with the saw up, pull it all the way out, and then lower it all the way down and push through the cut. There is a plastic piece in the bottom of the blade trough that just touches the blade. If you have the saw down in the forward position and trigger the saw, it grabs the plastic and can rip it up through the insert and possibly tear up the plastic blade shield. This has happened to several people (per remarks on the web reviews) with some having significant damage to their new saw. If the saw is running when lowered, it will cut a groove in that plastic piece and cause no further problems.

Although I have the XPS sytem, for exact cuts I still scribe and set the blade to the line. The XPS is a blade shadow, so shows the teeth when the blade is not spinning. This is fine if you register the piece to the outside shadow of the tooth with the blade touching the wood. However, when the blade is spinning, especially with the saw up, the shadow becomes primarily the blade plate, not the outside of the teeth. So when the saw is lowered, the cut extends over the line. This can throw you off if just depending on the XPS for making multiple rapid cuts.

The saw kicks up significantly when triggered (this applies to the 799 as well). No problem once you get used to it as long as your work is secured well. Problem is that the hold-down clamps are about totally useless. They wobble, and have the tendency to pull the work away from the fence when tightened. For thicker lumber, the vacuum port will hit the work when the saw is pulled toward you all the way, and will pull the work away from the fence even with the clamps tightened. I use a push stick to hold the work, but it is a less-than-satisfactory work around if you have the saw mounted on a portable stand.

Chip/dust collection behind the saw is good only if you connect to a vacuum. Be prepared to pony up another $20 (for 1 1/4" hose) + another $15 (for 2" hose) for the adapter(s) to connect to the vacuum tube. I did not see much difference between using a 1 1/4" and 2" hose size. You will still get chips, etc on the saw table and around the front.

On the plus side, the saw is powerful, and the cuts are very precise in all planes through the entire travel of the slider. It can be dialed in on all planes (vertical horizontal, bevel, etc) to give very exact results. Trigger/handle fits well for either right or left hand operation. It is a solid, well designed saw with the exception of the hold-down clamps.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I opted for the 779 could not seeing paying for the other bells and whistles.

In general I do not like all the stops and holds on the new saws. My only issues with the 779 saw I bought is the small pin head to lock down the saw and the slide nut is way smaller now. I can live with the small nut but, the stop pin I replaced just because I wanted something I could just feel to grab and push rather than having to look over to see what I was doing, I know kinda picky but that's me.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Thanks Mark and Oka for the advice - should be getting it up and ready tomorrow as the host returns on Thursday to a pleasant surprise(we hope).
Ed

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS