Which metal detector to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
A metal detector has been on my wish list for a while. Now I have a chance to get some reclaimed wood from an old building, but know the timbers and boards will have some nails or other metal in them, so it is the justification for getting one. Suggestions on which one to buy?

W Burton

New User
Bill
I have the Little Wizard detector, which has worked well for me. It can be a bit fussy to set the tone, and it only scans a small area at a time, but since I got it I have yet to hit any metal (knock on reclaimed wood.) If you are doing a large volume I would get a bigger detector, but this one works okay on smaller quantities.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have a metal detector to search the ground, beaches, etc. but along with that I have a pin-pointer to locate treasures in the dirt. I use that pin-pointer in my shop. It's made by Garrett and it's fantastic! I can quickly scan a complete boar in seconds. It has a wider sensor on the side then when hearing a beep (and handle vibration), I can hold it up on end to pin-point the metal in the wood. I've had my SawStop for about 3 years now and I've never lost a cartridge thanks to my Garrett!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
+1 for the Garrett PinPointer, pricey but worth it, I use mine not only in the shop, but for other tasks. I've even taken out into the field look for parts I've lost off farm equiptment. J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors