Which chuck to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

awldune

Sam
User
I would get the first one.

It's hard to tell what exactly the difference in the two chucks is, but the first one includes cole jaws which are really handy for finishing the bottoms of bowls.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
I don't see much difference between the chucks, its mainly a difference between the jaws that come with them.

possumkiller

New User
Scott
Penn State offers quite a few jaw sets that you can fit to the C series chucks like the first one. I'd go that way for the versatility. I have used the Barracuda 4 for years and have had no issues but sometimes wish I'd gotten a C series because of the availability of more jaw sets.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
+1 on what Scott said. I have a Barracuda 2 and it has performed well. I also recently added the cole jaws and paid $28 on sale.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the first one, the Utility Grip 4 jaw. I like it. The jaws are smooth so you want to make sure your foot goes as far down as possible. My wife was making a bowl with it and just had a very short foot for the jaws to grab. It couldn't hold. I have been working on a 6" bowl and made the foot as deep as it would fit and didn't have a problem at all. I bought mine because it included the flat jaws.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I have two sets of the utility grip chucks. I Leave the pin jaws on one set and change the others to what I need at the time. I love the versatility. They have many uses.

gritz

New User
Robert
I started with a four jaw independent chuck...nearly impossible to use, and then skipped over lever chucks to scroll chucks.
Lever chucks take three hands. If feasible hold off until you can find a key operated scroll chuck...you'll be happier when you use it.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I have both the lever chuck and scroll chuck.
For me the lever chuck is a lot more easy to use, hold work with hand then use one lever to tighten it, after you get it tight you can use 2 levers if you want to make it tight enough to break the wood.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will get the Utility 4 Jaw Chuck. A scroll chuck would be nice but I think that chuck will do what I ask of it on such a small lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS