Which Adirondack plans to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
Am getting ready to build an Adirondack chair out of WRC. I don't know which plans to use tho. Norm'S? Lee Valley? I would appreciate any input from those of you whohave built them as to which plans you think are the best. thanks in advance. I know there are a ton of them in the internet bjurt I need some "hands on" expertise.

Timmy

New User
Tim
This would be a great time to come up with your own design. You mainly want the seat and back to have some concave to them to make them more comfortable. Get the seat height and depth right, but then come up with your layout.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I built some from Norms plans and a pair of rockers from Lee Valley plans but Jakes Chair is considered the best out there. If you are in a pinch for time Rockler sells plans and the templates in one package.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I haven't built this one, but I like the layout and design

http://www.tulsawalk.com/projects/jakeschair/index.html

I have not built that one; I used different plans that have not been recommended (and won't be). But I like the deviations to brace this one in the above description. These chairs need to be overbuilt. People (not just kids) will stand on the arms to reach things or stand on their tip toes in the seat (meaning every slat should be able to support full body weight). I ended up adding support after the fact.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I've built this one. http://www.woodstore.net/adchfowopl.html. The plans had full size templates and the chair was very comfortable. But both it and the stool was quite large. They were built out of 2X treated lumber and then painted as in the pic. I've also built a folding chair plan. It was smaller and is very comfortable also. I'd build another one from those plans, (I can't remember whose plans they were offhand) but I wouldn't make it foldable. Ours sits under a covered porch and I have no need to fold it up and move it.

The most recent one I built was made out of cypress I got from Scott Smith on the forum here. On the right in the pic.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

It's a little larger also, but not as big as the first one I mentioned. I also built one with a flat back, not curved. Didn't take me long to get rid of it. Very uncomfortable. Make sure the one you build has a curved back.

Tom

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Over the years I have built several different versions. The earlier versions were "no name" designs copied from some existing chairs that I ran across. Then I built a "Jake's Chair", but found it to be too wide and not very comfortable. The most recent ones that I have built are a modification of "Norm's Chair". I've found his design to be the most comfortable so far. The first ones were made exactly to his design, but they developed several problems in use. I've added a cross brace between the rear legs just below the chair back To stiffen and strengthen the rear legs. I also doubled the thickness of the curved back support between the rear of the arms. I did this because Norm's original design did not provide much material to attach the back boards and they would quickly loosen in use. The back boards need more than the one screw per board attachment at this point and the angle of the joint prevents using screws of the needed length. Construction adhesive along with the screws, bolts, and these modifications makes "Norm's Chair" very solid and long lasting. I've made some of the early chairs from pine and painted them, then some from treated lumber and also painted them, and then some from cypress and left them unfinished. Cypress is by far the best choice for long life and low maintenance.

Charley

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I've built about 100+ of Norm's chair. Nice design and very comfortable! I would use his design. I've sat in many adirondack chairs and his is the best.

I would also use cypress. Easy to work with and you can leave it unfinished.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS