Where to find used machines nowadays?

LB75

George
Since it appears that Craigslist has become pretty much a bust in recent years when it comes to finding used machinery, what is everyone's favorite places to buy and sell shop machines? I'm in the market for a 3 HP shaper at the moment and have an 8" Grizzly jointer with spiral cutterhead to sell. Thanks in advance!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I see some deals in FB Marketplace. There was an 18" MiniMax Bandsaw on there this morning.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Since it appears that Craigslist has become pretty much a bust in recent years when it comes to finding used machinery, what is everyone's favorite places to buy and sell shop machines? I'm in the market for a 3 HP shaper at the moment and have an 8" Grizzly jointer with spiral cutterhead to sell. Thanks in advance!

I still find lots of deals on CL. I post them in Found for sale/Hot deals, but you have to jump on them right away. CL isn't the place it once was for bargains, but they're still out there. In the past 6 months I bought a Jet JPP-12HH jointer/planer combo for $2200 and a Kreg pocket hole machine for $200. I'm also into audio and found a pair of Canton Karat 40 speakers for $200 that retailed originally for $1300 20 years ago. They were mint.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Shaper - $900 (Fountain Inn)

1585188930756.png

G1026 3HP Shaper
Like new condition
Sliding table and extension wing

tijmt

Jared
User
George,

I am not sure of the details, but here are a few to check out in NC from Facebook.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Facebook Marketplace seems to be the main place in these days to sell and buy. I'm not exactly sure why it has taken over Craigslist. I very much prefer Craigslist, much easier to sort and filter down to what you are looking for. I absolutely hate Facebook when I am the seller. They have that default message of "Is it still available", which is completely stupid. Every time that I try to sell something on Facebook, I get at least 5 of those dumb messages.

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member

What model Grizzly jointer?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’others on FB marketplace. I’ve bought and sold on marketplace several times over the past year. I’ve noticed listing things on marketplace gets far more response than CL (I post on both simultaneously).

I also agree the “is it still available” snjncredibly annoying. I’ve started listing “AD UP = AVAILABLE” and do not respond to folks that ask that question.

I haven’t had much luck with OfferUp or letgo either.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A couple of other places to give a look from time to time. Odds of them having exactly what you need at the time you need it are slim but they are still worth a look.

"Surplus" from institutions can either mean worn out and won't work or it could be from programs that were discontinued. Buying can have its risks so be prepared to do some work.

NC state surplus when they're working
NC Auctions - Industrial Equipment

Public surplus in Virginia usually has things. I think NC isn't quite as an aggressive of a user.
Public Surplus: Industrial Equipment

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
How much for the jonter?

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
It has been more or less implied, but you might check out used machinery dealers. Do not rule out dealers that appear to only do metal working equipment, often they have woodworking equipment just do not really advertise it. I just checked one near me and he has some stuff - band saws, scroll saws, a shaper, but no table saws. He told me they disappear real fast. I live in ILL so he is not much help to you. Check out ones near you.

Bob

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS