Where to buy sheet goods in/around Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Where is the best place to buy sheet goods in/around Raleigh? I am new to woodworking and am getting close to starting several projects. I live in north Raleigh (near Wake Forest) and am wondering where the best place is to buy melamine, birch plywood, etc is. I know this is probably asking a lot from someone but it would be nice if someone could share their "list" of sheet goods suppliers around Raleigh along with what they carry, location, contact information, experience, etc. Thanks.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I buy melamine from 84 Lumber, they have to special order it. I buy all other sheet goods, as well as lumber, from The Hardwood Store of NC in Gibsonville (Exit 138/Hwy 61) off of I-85 before Greensboro.

George

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
woodworker2000 said:
Where is the best place to buy sheet goods in/around Raleigh? I am new to woodworking and am getting close to starting several projects. I live in north Raleigh (near Wake Forest) and am wondering where the best place is to buy melamine, birch plywood, etc is. I know this is probably asking a lot from someone but it would be nice if someone could share their "list" of sheet goods suppliers around Raleigh along with what they carry, location, contact information, experience, etc. Thanks.

This is the exactly the same question I asked, that made me start this site. What I had hoped that people would add to the Web Links section the places that thing can be bought locally. And then the forums could be used to discuss things like "what makes The Hardwood Store so much better than say Capital City Lumber."

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to move this topic to another area. Where, perhaps I can get it to serve a couple of purposes.

Steve

gator

George
Corporate Member
I like The Hardwood Store of NC for the variety of product (sheet goods and lumber - one stop shopping), price, knowledgeability of employees, and 10¢/bdft discount to TWA members. I always find something in their "shorts" bins that I can use for small projects at a reduced price. They have sold me half sheets of expensive ply when I didn't need a full sheet. All in all just a good feeling when shopping there.

George

gator

George
Corporate Member
I make it from Oxford in just under an hour (I-85 all the way). I imagine that RTP would be about the same.

George

sapwood

New User
Roger
gator said:
All in all just a good feeling when shopping there.

George

I recommend the Hardwood Store too. Although my purchases and visits have been few, the place just "feels" right. You just sorta walk in and wander around until you find someone or the area where wood is finished and stored. As an amateur wanting to know more about different woods, I asked for info and small pieces of wormy maple. The owner gave me a stackful of varied woods (maghony, lyptus, cherry, walnut) and suggested I try them out. I asked the cost and he replied: "Uh, five dollars". I gave him ten and promised to return.

Why not,
Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have been to the Hardwood store in Gibsonville, great place, good prices, and decent people. It took me about a hour from I-40/ Hwy. 42 area. For "high end" sheet goods, at least in their opinion, is Raleigh Hardwood on Poole Rd. just outside of the beltline. Also for solid stock there is East Wake Hardwoods in Wendel, no sheet goods in stock but he can order what you might want. There is also a place that I ran across one morning where Hwy 55, 42 and 401 meet in Fuquay that supposedly has great amount of sheet goods, but he wouldn't give me a price list..call for what you want. I saw some stock and it looked good, possibly a clearing house type of deal, it might be worth looking into if you actually are ready to buy. That is what I have found so far. Dave :)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
DaveO said:
I have been to the Hardwood store in Gibsonville, great place, good prices, and decent people. It took me about a hour from I-40/ Hwy. 42 area. For "high end" sheet goods, at least in their opinion, is Raleigh Hardwood on Poole Rd. just outside of the beltline. Also for solid stock there is East Wake Hardwoods in Wendel, no sheet goods in stock but he can order what you might want. There is also a place that I ran across one morning where Hwy 55, 42 and 401 meet in Fuquay that supposedly has great amount of sheet goods, but he wouldn't give me a price list..call for what you want. I saw some stock and it looked good, possibly a clearing house type of deal, it might be worth looking into if you actually are ready to buy. That is what I have found so far. Dave :)

Look at that. Only a member for about an hour and already providing good info. Once I got back to working in the shop again, I was going to add to that this thread.

What if I can't go to gibsonville. I only have room in my SUV for about 4 sheets and then I have to leave the hatch open. So I need a place I can get to reasonably quickly if I'm only carrying 4 sheets at a time.

Thank you, thank you. :notworth:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Steve, after all the personal attention you gave in helping me to get logged on, I at least owe some contributions, for what they may be worth. Unfortunately, shortly after I got logged on, there seemed to be a temporary server problem. The answer to ya'll with limited material hauling abilities is... this site. I access to several big trucks that could be filled with more wood that ya'll could afford, and own a couple small trucks that can make the trip west worth while. Anytime anyone wants to make a wood run and the LOML approves, I am up for it. Dave :)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
That is a most generous offer and I for one greatly appreciate it and I suspect, that once I get back into the shop, I would be very interested. As for the other members around here ,they speak for themselves, but I suspect that with a little planning we could get a group buy together.

Thanks very much for the offer.

Reefman

New User
Wayne
I use the Hardwood Store too. Was Just up there yesterday. I travel there from the Pinehurst area and the drive is not bad. Very friendly employees, a good selection of wood. If there is something they don't have (such as redwood) they will order it for you. As for plys they have all types and thickness and will cut and sell half sheets (something Wall lumber will not do).
Prices are a little more then Wall but the drive for me is not as far. They will also ship with from what I can see no minimum on what they will ship.
They are moving I think they said end of month to a bigger building but it is only a block away from where they are now. Anyway I'v been dealing with them for a couple of years now and have always been satisfied.
Also i guess about 10 minutes past them on 85 exit 148 is Woodworkers Supply that has anything you may be looking for in woodworking tools and machinery.

Reefman :)

DaveD

New User
Dave
I use:
Raleigh Hardwood Center
4213 Poole Road
Raleigh, NC
919-231-6620

Take the poole road exit off of I-440, Probably a couple of miles south on the left.

They have just about any kind of plywood, particleboard, melamine sheets you could want. Even 5' wide. They also have laminate for countertops and all kinds of hinges, drawer slides, and knobs. Hardwoods too.They also let you wander around the warehouse.

Also open on Saturday mornings.

H

Hippyhigh

Try Here,

The Owner has been in the Exotic Hardwood buisness for 40 yrs. Real nice fellow.
Jackson International. 6017 Nc Highway 55 Fuquay Varina, NC 27526-7919 ...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Hippyhigh, WELCOME!!! Is that place near where Hwy. 42, 55 & 401 intersect, close to the new Sheetz (I think they misspelled their name)? If so I went in there a while back and there is a tremendous assortment of sheet goods, and he said he also had solid stock, but no inventory or price list available. Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Hey all - BOY AM I HAPPY TO FIND THIS PLACE!!!

I, too, had a good experience with NC Hardwoods. I like the way they're up front with their pricing (http://www.hardwoodstore.com/lumber.html) and they were very friendly. He even surfaced and ripped the piece of walnut I was buying gratis! (It didn't hurt that he's a State grad and my wife had her State sweatshirt on...)

I live in Cary, but my wife's parents live in Burlington, so I'm driving back from there with an empty 8' pickup box quite frequently.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey, we're happy you found it too, and welcome. We need a few more State supporters around here. Look out for sapwood he's for the other guys. I think that The Hardwood Store of NC would be smart to open an outlet in the triangle area. There are many woodworkers here and the building trade is booming. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to you input. Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
He is Jackson International Corp.

919-577-9994

JACKSONINTL@AOL.COM

6017 Hwy 55 at 42 East (in other words in the first old tobacco warehouse) just down from Sheetz.

When he's not working on a truckload order, he seems to like visits from woodworkers. His inventory covers about an acre and constantly changes with a lot of exotics. He carrys 3X5 sheets of some types and they are handy for me.
Joe

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I'm gonna definitely check out the Hardwood Store, heard nothing but good things. I live about 5 min from Capitol City Lumber and I'd rather be punched in the head than go there.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Bladeburner, that is exactly the guy I was thinking about. Went in there once, just out of the blue, and there was a lot of stock. I asked if I could see what he had , and was told no for insurance reasons. Asked for a price list or inventory, and he doesn't have one. Sounded kinda shady to me. Maybe if you've dealt with him you could direct him over here, and let him know that more people could buy his stock if they knew what he carried, and the cost range. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS