Where Can I Purchase a Motor for Furnace in Raleigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
We discovered a mysterious burning smell earlier today. Turns out is was coming from the registers. The furnace fan would not come on. I have a direct drive system, so it couldn't have been a belt. After a fun trip through the crawl space I removed the side panel of the furnace. I discovered more of the smell and a motor that was very hot. The cage turned freely, and it wasn't an issue of a clogged filter. I have since removed the motor.

I know that we have very knowledgeable members here and was hoping that someone might have recommendations of where I could find a replacement motor in Raleigh. It is 1/3 HP (I have the other details and the motor to take with me to ensure that it matches). My first thought was Grainger, but are there other local sources? It is going to be cold, and I would love to get this repaired tomorrow.

Thank you in advance!
Mike

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Johnstone Supply in Garner. They also have a branch in north Raleigh, but the Garner branch is a lot easier to deal with on a cash basis. Grainger may or may not sell to you as an individual. but you can order anything from Grainger through Lowes. There is a Lowes almost across the street from Grainger.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Bruce, does the Johnstone Supply Garner location sell to individuals who are not contractors?

scoobyJ

New User
SJ
You don't have to be contractor to buy from Grainger. I've bought from store in Raleigh before and they never asked.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I called Johnstone Supply, but they said that they only sell to licensed contractors. So I went to Grainger first thing this morning. They didn't have a close enough match that I felt comfortable installing (my motor only had two wires with a special plug that went into the side of the housing). I went down the road to Motors and Controls based on a recommendation from my cousin.

The folks at Motors and Controls, Jim and Dallas, were extremely helpful! They tested the capacitor and found that to be the culprit. They brought the new capacitor out and tested it with the motor to make sure the motor worked with the new replacement. Success! I would have paid $100 for a motor and still had no heat. :icon_scra

I walked out of their after paying a total bill of $6.00. :eusa_danc I wanted to share this experience with you all. It is hard to find decent customer service and these guys went above and beyond. Plus, they sell to the public! The store/shop reminded me of the old feed store that my grandpa used to take me to. It was crowded, dirty, and dimly lit. However, they had everything in stock along with the knowledge and willingness to help. Now it's all put back together and the house is slowly heating back up. :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS