Where can I get Recycled Building Material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Does anyone know where I can find recycled building materials such as 2x4's and such? I really need to build a shed in the back yard, but I don't have the money to do it with new material plus I would love to use recycled material for the green factor.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I don't know that the Restore carries lumber, but I'm looking for material either REALLY inexpensive or better yet FREE. Free would be best. I would even do the deconstruction if I could find someone needing to get rid of material.

Sully

New User
jay
Two words for you:

Check out the dump

Okay, four words. I love shopping there. All kinds of good stuff to be had.

J

MikeH

New User
Mike
Two words for you:

Check out the dump

Okay, four words. I love shopping there. All kinds of good stuff to be had.

J

Great idea! I also found a few ads for free lumber from deconstructed sheds or barns and one person in Rockwell, NC selling 2x3's for $1/ea. They have other dimensioned wood also and I've asked for a price list.

Last edited:

RayH

New User
Ray
Mike,

The Habitat - Reuse Store has both new (donated by builders as leftovers) and reclaimed (from deconstruction projects) lumber. At least the Raleigh branch does. They also have a very active deconstruction program always looking for volunteers. That might even get you a better deal on the materials.:mrgreen:

Best of luck on your search.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have a pile of salvaged lumber for which I have no use including some 2 x 8 floor joists. Also have a tenant house that needs to be torn down before it falls. I think there is still some solid sills, framing, doors, mantels, trim wood. It dates back to the 1920's. Also maybe ten 12' long, 8" to 16"wide boards on a tobacco barn worth salvaging.

Problem for you is the distance, though.

It's free to you or anyone else who might be able to use it.

timf67

New User
Tim
Let me know what type of material you are looking for and I will harvest from the scrap pile when they start framing the addition on my house next week.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I have a pile of salvaged lumber for which I have no use including some 2 x 8 floor joists. Also have a tenant house that needs to be torn down before it falls. I think there is still some solid sills, framing, doors, mantels, trim wood. It dates back to the 1920's. Also maybe ten 12' long, 8" to 16"wide boards on a tobacco barn worth salvaging.

Problem for you is the distance, though.

It's free to you or anyone else who might be able to use it.

That's awesome!!! ptt49er and I may make a trip up and check things out. Do you think we could get enough lumber to frame an 8x10' shed?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Does anyone know if the Habitat Restore here in Charlotte carries lumber?

Nope sure don't!!! :rotflm:

I do know that if there is any new construction going on around where you live, that's one great place to get some lumber. Just ask one of the Builder guys if you can have some of the lumber from the dumbster, they have always told me yes. Then I say alright I come back when it's not so hot. And also your not in there way. last year I got probably 30-40 2x4's ranging in length from 5' to 16'. Some where cut offs and some where not used at all. I also got a bunch of 2x6's, 2x8's, and 2x10's. Plus they throw away the nails if say one falls out of a stick of say 15, well all I did with the porter cable nail gun was just **** it back another time or two and that would break the plastic. I got a 25lb bucket of nails and could of got more. They also throw away plywood, flooring and whatever else they use for a house. plumbing cut offs, shingle cut offs, etc. I sware they could build a shed with all the materials they throw away, but hey thats more work :BangHead:.

Anyway good luck :icon_thum and can't wait to see the results.:gar-Bi

Oh by the way I just got about 12 2x4's the other day about 8+ feet each and 6 2x8's 6+ feet from a house just down the street, and was planning on grabbing some more they had about 40 2x4's they were throwing away, he said some have to many nails, and some are twisted. The one I got were pretty straight. Well the took the dumbster away today. :BangHead: I am using the scrap to build me another work bench about 8' long by 24" deep. I would go deeper, but the MDF I have is only 20" :eusa_doh:.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Well it appears my prayers have been answered. :eusa_dancI spoke to my Dad this weekend and we were talking about building my shed. I told him I was ready to start on it and he says "That reminds me...." My StepMom doesn't like the shed they have and wants something different out back. Some of the old siding has gotten mildew and it smells. I told him I would gladly help deconstruct the building and haul it back to Charlotte. He agreed to it. :eusa_danc His shed is 16x20 so I will have more than enough material to build my 10x12 shed. We are headed up there (Washington, D.C.) for the 4th of July and I plan on staying several days after, deconstructing the shed and hauling it back to Charlotte in the back of a rented truck.

It's going to be a lot of work, but I can't wait to get started!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Things have a way or working out, don't they? Luck? As my old signature used to say, "The harder you work, the more of it you have!" Congratulations, Mike.
:wsmile:

MikeH

New User
Mike
Well......after looking at the numbers for renting a truck and the time I have to take off to deconstruct the shed I don't know if it's worth the time and money. The truck rental is going to run between $300-400 one way (fortunately the mileage is unlimited). Then it's going to take several days to take it down.

I need advise on whether you really think this is worth it? I don't have the money to outright buy the lumber and I'm paying $70/month for a storage unit. My father even offered to pay for half of the truck, but I'm still looking at about $250 to get the lumber back down here.

Thoughts? Ideas? I really want to make this work somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS