Where can I get a band saw blade repaired?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I was making a cut with my band saw this afternoon and got the #$%%# scared out of me. Heard a very loud BANG and the band saw blade disappeared. I shut everything down real quick, unplugged the saw and took a look inside. The blade had broken, not on the weld. I also noticed one tooth (maybe more) were missing.

Anyway, this is a Cast Master CT (carbide tipped) blade that I bought about 15 months ago for $135. My last carbide tipped band saw blade (Woodmaster CT) lasted over 6 years, so I was surprised when this one failed after 15 months.

My question to the group is, is there anywhere that I can get this blade repaired? I am not too concerned about the missing tooth, just want to get the break squared up and welded. The blade was still performing well, so it should be good to go with a good weld (I hope).

What do you think?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
It is a Lenox blade purchased from Spectrum Supply. Spectrum Supply offers a 90 day warranty. The blade was purchased 15 months ago. Spectrum Supply does not offer repair services.

I don't think I was 'abusing' the blade. I had recently made some adjustments to the tracking and re-adjusted the guides. Can't think of anything I did there that would cause the blade to break.

If it is a material failure, I would still be willing to try re-using the blade with a fresh weld and see if it holds up. My thinking is that there may have been a small flaw (micro-fracture, etc.) in the blade that finally let go. The blade was still very sharp and cutting well.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Any machine shop with a Tig welder could fix it, but like Marke and Locowoodwork stated it sounds like the metal may have been fatigued from the manufacturing process, not uncommon when you are brazing a carbide tip. Most welding is automated these days and all it takes is a slowdown or extra pull while it is hot and that can affect the steel metal band's integrity.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
You can buy a silver solder kit to repair bandsaw blades. Lots of youtube videos on it.

Other option is to take it to a machine shop. Most industrial duty metal bandsaws come with a built-in blade welder. Any decent machine shop should have one of these. Only problem with the blade welders is sometimes it takes 1 or 2 tries to get the settings just right. Each time that you mess up, you have to cut out the weld so you lose 1/2"-3/4" of blade each time. If you have your original blade, take it with you and they can practice with it to get the settings dialed in.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
What width blade? What size bandsaw? I have given up on carbide toothed blades after having two 3/4" for a 16" bandsaw break. Both were Lennox and older blades. There are some opinions floating around that even a 16" bandsaw is not big enough for carbide blades.

Rick

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The blade is 1", 143" long. The bandsaw is 19", Grizzly G0514.

I'll have make a few calls to some local shops to see if they can weld it for me. For now I have installed a KerfMaster blade and it is cutting great. I'll have to see how long it lasts and then decide if buying another carbide tipped blade makes financial sense.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have gotten bandsaw blades from Raleigh Saw. You may check with them to see if they weld them up on site.

Roy G

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The blade is 1", 143" long. The bandsaw is 19", Grizzly G0514.

I'll have make a few calls to some local shops to see if they can weld it for me. For now I have installed a KerfMaster blade and it is cutting great. I'll have to see how long it lasts and then decide if buying another carbide tipped blade makes financial sense.
Mark,
I really think you should call Lennox, they might replace it they may not, but they probably would like to analyze it to see what happened.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS