Where can I find rough locust lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl

New User
Earl
Looking for 8/4, 5/4 and 4/4 rough locust. I am hoping to use over the winter to make several Adirondack chairs and a couple of garden benches. From what I read, it should last very well outdoors.

Lumber sources close to Richmond VA would be preferred.

I saw one posting on craigs list near DC, but if someone has a recommendation it removes a lot of the uncertainty.

thanks Earl

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Earl, if you've never used cypress, you should give it a shot. :icon_thumIt's a great wood for outdoor furniture. I make Adirondacks, swings, and rockers from it. It should be a lot easier to find in your neck of the woods. Pics in my gallery.

Good luck! :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Earl, I know this does not answer your question but white oak holds up extremely well in outdoor furniture. It is also easy to find in the sizes you want.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Earl, check with the forestry extension service either in Richmond, or at Virgina Tech. They should have a list of local saw mills. I know here in NC, I check with a paper put out by the Dept.of Agriculture, called "Agriculture Review." They have free classified ads for farmers and others. All the locust I have purchased has come from small mills located in the northwest corner (mountains)of NC. As stated earlier, check for cypress from sawyers located in the southeast corner of the state. Someone in the Suffolk, Franklin area should be cutting cypress.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Make sure you distinguish between Honey Locust and Black Locust. There is a significant difference when it comes to outside durability.

Bill

Earl

New User
Earl

Thanks for the feedback.

I am waiting for responses to a couple of emails and will post any good sources I find.

Cypress and white oak sound like good suggestions, but I was of hoping to take a road less traveled and try out some locust.

I have never worked with cypress, but I have heard good things about it.

I get a little white oak mixed in with the red oak fence boards from time to time and pull off the nicer ones for project work. If I am not able to find locust, I will probably go that route.

Earl

PS: Good one Phil

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
Looking for 8/4, 5/4 and 4/4 rough locust. I am hoping to use over the winter to make several Adirondack chairs and a couple of garden benches. From what I read, it should last very well outdoors.

Lumber sources close to Richmond VA would be preferred.

I saw one posting on craigs list near DC, but if someone has a recommendation it removes a lot of the uncertainty.

thanks Earl
Have you considered western red cedar or cypress? They have it available at The Hardwood Store of North Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors