Where can i find 1/8" hardwood plywood?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
How did you say that you added some color to some of your layered pieces?

Cathy I stained some pieces of BB before I cut it. The layered crosses where made of 5 layers of 1/8" BB so I stained layers 2 and 4 . For those layered designs 1/8" BB is the best material.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
All this talk of hardwood plywood made me look in the shed. I found a piece of 1/4" cherry veneered plywood. It's 4' by 5'+. The actual thickness is 5/32". Is this too thick for your needs? I got it for the back of a short bookcase and this is the left over piece. Let me know if there is any interest.

Roy G

cskipper

Cathy
All this talk of hardwood plywood made me look in the shed. I found a piece of 1/4" cherry veneered plywood. It's 4' by 5'+. The actual thickness is 5/32". Is this too thick for your needs? I got it for the back of a short bookcase and this is the left over piece. Let me know if there is any interest.

Roy G

I really don't know a lot about it is constructed. I am cutting pieces that are basically all edges need to be fairly sure there are not gaps in the core. This is the kind of things I'm making.
Sunburst Art Deco by Gabriel Schama IMGP1863 sm.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really don't know a lot about it is constructed. I am cutting pieces that are basically all edges need to be fairly sure there are not gaps in the core. This is the kind of things I'm making.
View attachment 29563

This design appears to be seven layers. I would try staining layers 2, 4, and 6. Do it before you cut.

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
I've been working with 1/8" plywood lately and wondered if there is a supplier of 1/8" that's not Baltic Birch of Finnisih. Any suggestions?

The Hardwood Store of NC has 1/8" Italian Poplar. It is $36.00 per sheet and we typically have both 4 x 8 and 8 x 4.

Thanks.

Cheryl

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
The Hardwood Store of NC has 1/8" Italian Poplar. It is $36.00 per sheet and we typically have both 4 x 8 and 8 x 4.

Thanks.

Cheryl
So which size is favored by crafts-persons? or does it depend on how high your ceiling is?:gar-Bi

cskipper

Cathy
I do not have the tools to manage full sheets of plywood. I need to be able to cut to the desired size on my scroll saw. I can manage 12 x 60 if necessary but prefer 12 x 24. This makes it more expensive but not great choices.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Would it be helpful to make your own plywood? I don’t have a link handy (pretty sure there are FWW articles describing a process), but I’m sure you know what I’m suggesting. You could use veneer stock, cross-lay, and glue. I forget if you have resaw capacity to start from thicker stock to produce your ply layers. Vacuum vs direct pressure vs hide glue and tools for gluing. Just some thoughts, good luck.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
160 miles from Forest City to Gibsonville. :help: If you buy a full sheet of 1/8" ply they might cut it down into 4' x 2' pieces or smaller and ship it to you via UPS.

The Hardwood store will cut lumber to fit in your car, call and ask about ply.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
160 miles from Forest City to Gibsonville. :help: If you buy a full sheet of 1/8" ply they might cut it down into 4' x 2' pieces or smaller and ship it to you via UPS.

or better yet maybe someone on the way to the winter picnic can pony express it.

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
Not sure if this is helpful of not, but I have ebonized Baltic birch before and it was very pretty. It was a messy process and if I remember correctly I needed to add tannins to the wood in the form of a tea solution.

Ray Morgan

Ray
Corporate Member
You might try Catawba Hardwood exit 90 on I-40 Nebo Lake James exit. Telephone 828-652-3575. They supply cabinet grade plywood.
Ray

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS