Where Are Woodturning Classes in the Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Does anyone have a recommendation for a few day to week-long woodturning class? I did an Internet search but didn't find anything local. I am primarily looking for beginner turning.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The best teacher around is Alan Dewey in Asheville. He and his wife Mellissa teach beginning and more advanced turning.

Their most popular class is "make a chess set in a weekend" no prior experience is required.

And they will design a course to fit your needs and experience.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Woodcraft occasionally has some decent day classes - not cheap. You'd get a lot better instruction from Alan and Melissa though as Mike mentioned.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I took a Friday night and all day Saturday turning class at the NC State University Craft Center

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
check out John C Campbell Folk School--------------not cheap and it is in western nc----may be further than you want to go.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Southern Piedmont Woodturners, Concord, NC and Waxhaw Woodturners, Waxhaw, NC both have members who would work with you to schedule specific classes that meet your needs. Am not familiar with where you are in SC, but American Association of Woodturners can give you info about all turning clubs in North and South Carolina.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Thanks to everyone. I talked to several teachers at the Woodturning Symposium. Each suggested I attend a formal class with an experienced teacher to get the most out of my time. So I thought I would find a location and start saving my money.

bguil

New User
beeg
Check your local AAW chapter in Columbia (http://palmettowoodturners.org/) for a local teacher, or, try J C Campbell folk school for a pleasant week in the mountains, great food, reasonable price and good instructors.

Humans live by choice, not by instinct. Humans are the only creatures who make a choice to torture and kill other creatures for recreation. Interesting quote; guess you don't have a cat.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I offer beginner and intermediate courses for a few hours, no full weekend of weekly courses. What I focus on is working on the basics you can continue to build on.
I'm in the Raleigh area, so it'd be a bit of a drive. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Actually I have five cats. But cats are acting on God-given instinct like other non-human animals. We have the ability to reason, decide and ignore or follow those decisions.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Another +1 for he Nc State Craft Center. Jim and Bill Wallace are awesome turners and teachers. The classes are often on weekends and relatively inexpensive. They also teach at Alamance Community College on week nights (even less expensive at the community college). I live nearby and was fortunate enough to take their classes each semester over a couple of years. The other advantage is that I have met some lifetime friends at their classes including Bill and Jim. They are both great friends and mentors. Jim is a member of NCWW and posts often.

Another option is the local woodturning club. I have been a member of PTWA for 10 years and served for three years as Vice President of the Club. We have meetings once a month in Greensboro and it is open to everyone. Membership is only $35 per year, a steal for the benefits. There is a demo each month and mentors volunteer their time to teach turning for free. There are sister clubs in Charlotte, Asheville, Raleigh and perhaps others. I highly recommend these not only for the ability to lean but also the fellowship and chance to meet others with similar interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors