What's the deal with shop crawls?

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
A "shop crawl" is a group visit of one or more workshops, right?

Tell me more!

Are demos to be expected?
Refreshments?
Donuts?
Armed guards?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Correct, you can expect all of the above. You'll travel from shop to shop where each member can display or showcase various issues or challenges in setting up their shop. They may also display some of their specialty works/ creations.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had a group at my farm in Va. about 15-17 years ago.
Every member was armed, great group and still friends with all the ones still alive...

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mallets & chisels possibly. Could also be powder actuated devices.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
The shop crawls I have attended do not entail "demos" as there is typically not enough time. That said, visiting other shops (large, medium, small) provides opportunities to observe how these shops are setup and equipped. I have found them to be very informative and a lot of fun.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
+1 what Donn said. It's a great chance to see how others have arranged their shops, addressed storage and organization issues, handle scraps, etc., etc. There may or may not be demos. Refreshments and donuts are optional. Since we're having lunch at the 2nd stop, I doubt if refreshments will be necessary. But who knows.

It's also a great way for new members, such as yourself, to meet others in the area. I hope you'll join us.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
+1 what Donn said. It's a great chance to see how others have arranged their shops, addressed storage and organization issues, handle scraps, etc., etc. There may or may not be demos. Refreshments and donuts are optional. Since we're having lunch at the 2nd stop, I doubt if refreshments will be necessary. But who knows.

It's also a great way for new members, such as yourself, to meet others in the area. I hope you'll join us.

exactly, I stopped by a member's shop this weekend, and saw how he handled air borne dust collection and was very impressed, enough that I plan to one day copy it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've never been on a crawl that I didn't learn something from EVERY shop we visited from the humblest to the fanciest. It's definitely worthwhile for newbies and old timers alike to see different ideas.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
My definition of a shop crawl - ALL of you crawl on down to the local Klingspor's Woodworking Shop! NOW that is a shop crawl!

Ok, those of you that know me knew I couldn't resist - so sorry! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously though, the shop crawls - which I have never visited seems to be a great way to share ideas, layout and design, and most importantly of all, make great friends.

Coleman

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS