Whats big strong heavy and ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
This is, when ever I try and turn anything over 10" tall (10" away from the chuck) it starts to chatter, and makes it hard to turn :confused_
So I thought a simple project, running a couple of roller blade wheels up against it might help, but the project just kept getting more invloved :widea:

So this is what i ended up with, I mounted an OLD bowl just to see how it might work, havent had the chance to turn anything with it yet

2 wheels might help
steady1.jpg

Or maybe 4 would be better
steady2.jpg

Or how about this
steady3.jpg

Ok lets go all out :gar-La;
steady4.jpg

and here it actually running, the crazy wheels have led's in them:eusa_thin

steady5.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Once again Earl you are over the top, I know that a new lathe is expensive, but I think that this one is being stretched to it's limits:gar-La;.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
What does it look like at night with all of the lights spinning:rotflm:?
Actually looks pretty sturdy.

T

toolferone

So, where is the wheel coming up from the bottom :gar-La;!

Looks good Earl.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Earl,

You have succeeded in renewing my opinion that the HF 34706 is one sweet lathe for the beginner's in us!!!!!!!!!!!

Your ingenuity and skill with those there segmented bowls boggles my mind!:eek::icon_scra:icon_scra:eek:

Now that 'bowl steady' is really over the top! (I love jigs and this is one more that deserves some magazine recognition. Send it in!!!!!!)

Well Done!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Groovy wheels, Man :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum Earl your talents and ingenuity never cease to amaze me :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Add one more leg and we can call it the "Octopus" steady! Jeez!

BTW - I got to see your work first hand at the Klingspor show ... absolutely beautiful!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Earl, that sort of contraption just _might_ get me turning! Ooohhh, shiny......
I wish my band saw roller guides came with LEDs.

M

McRabbet

Earl, your ingenuity continues to produce amazing results. BTW, your collection of segmented bowls were a real hit at the Klingspor show. Many people came up to ask how they were done and we did our best to explain your wizardry! You'll need to plan to come next year and put on a demonstration.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Earl, you have renewed my faith in your "flat side" skills, (which we haven't seen much of in a while) and your creativeness is always a "10!"

That is SOME jig! Great workmanship!

You da man!!

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
nicely done sir
(You getting tired of hearing that yet???)
that ought to keep them steady BTW - as great as your work looks in pictures, your work is indeed better in person

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Dang it Earl! If that steady makes your work any better than it already is, you'll be in the Smithsonian BEFORE you're dead and gone!!! Your ingenuity is amazing...

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have always said there are a lot of people with skill but few with skill and talent. I think it is easy to figure out which you are.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Earl, have you ever thought about working for NASA? Or somewhere else where people of average intelligience (like me) can't work. :rotflm:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You gonna let the kids have their rollerblade wheels back when the weather turns warm?:gar-La;
Looks like that rig's ready to turn bathtubs.
Righteous rig, man. Yea, verily.:icon_thum

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
WOW!! Darth Earl. Way to go!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

And to think, just a year or so ago, you were flattenin' boards by towin' 'em down Big Daddy Drive behind the car with a concrete block on em!!:rolf::rolf:

So, what's next? Please don't say it has anything to do with lasers and black holes.:eek::eek:

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS