What Would You Buy with $2000?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Agree with the jointer for sure, but maybe hold out for an 8" if you can swing it, that's prolly as big as most people ever need and you will find yourself frequently trying to joint 6 1/2 " rough boards.
Routinely, I joint 9 - 10" boards on my 6" Grizzly. Jointer has to have a rabbeting ledge (most do.)

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I'm with Scott - I know people love their lunchbox planers, especially the DW 735.
If I had a choice, I'd spend my planer money on a (used) stationary planer with induction motor and some mass. I have an old Foley-Belsaw that was gifted to me - only 12" capacity but it will outlive me. Takes 240V power - a dis-ad if you don't have that - and I can't can't sling it around or store it under a shelf....

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
You can buy a lathe pretty cheap, but blink and you will have well over 2K invested. Gouges, chucks... Never ending! :)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Clamps are a luxury. String, tape, bricks. You don't see clamps in those vintage toolboxes. I know they are not needed as I only have about 60.
Another case where is it wise to look at them carefully. I have a supply of HF clamps, some good, some I should donate. There are several reasonably good reviews of clamps on the WEB. A clamp should not last just a lifetime. Three or four maybe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS